6 for 6 this morning

Headed North past the pack and set lines in 130’.

finally after about an hour landed a decent steelhead on green flounder pounder dragging behind a 5 color.

Caught a very nice laker on a blue splatter back plug connected to a 7 color. (kinda weird?)

caught a small shaker king on a green fly pulled behind a green spinny. high diver out 180

caught a midsize king on a moon shine green jeans pulled behind a high diver back 170

we caught two mature kings on a happy meal connected to a 300 copper.

The second king was jumping out of the water like a steely. I pulled him in to about 100 feet and he decided to rip off 900 feet jumping the entire way before we were in a stale mate. He burried his shoulders in and would not budge. finally after 45 minutes we decided to clear all lines so we could fight it at a standstill !!! I forgot to turn the autopilot off while standing still and it blew a hydraulic line off the steering pump. I spent the next two hours rigging things up to make it back to launch. What a nightmare. Spare lines being put in boat before going out

All fish caught in 180 FOW. went to 200 then back to 150. ended up just trolling 180 line and stayed there until the little steering mishap.

IMG_3835.JPGIMG_3836.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 5

I could be wrong and I would have to see it from a different angle but the tail, mouth and color on that hog make me think that it IS a steelhead!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I took a picture of the 5 fish we kept. It looks like the one on left is actually a coho now that i am looking at it. The Fish in question is right next to it. I guess because of the size I just assumed it was a king. What do you think now? If this IS a steel, i am not real happy that I didn’t any measurements because that thing is huge for a steelhead. IMG_3839.JPG

• Like 1

Yup. White mouth, square tail, green back. PIG steelhead! Measurements or not that's one heck of a fish. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Salmon Slammin!!! I am pretty pumped right now. Guess it WAS worth the blown steering line and floating out there helpless for 2 hours. I am going to have to measure that wood on the hanger next time I am a out just to get a better idea.

• Like 1

So you had a fish on - you blew a hose - DID you get the fish in ?

Yes, the fish that we pulled gear for and stopped the boat was the steelhead. It was time to head in anyway so we put all the gear away and when trying to turn the boat back towards port is when I discovered that I had no steering. The hose had blown out of my autopilot pump. I am assuming this is because while fighting the fish in neutral I forgot to turn the autopilot off and it was deadheading the steering until the weakest link gave out.