I've been doing this but have been cutting off the heads and freezing.

Because, the heads don't fit in my big weanie meat rigs...

- I'm curious what formula you use for brine?

- And, are you flattening the heads or cutting to fit in the rigs? maybe there are bigger head rigs out there...?

20 minutes ago, fishoak said:

I'd be inclined to believe your heads are for cut bait. My B.W. whole-bait heads work great.

A couple of years back I posted a step-by-step thread on how I do it. I don't want to over load this thread so do a search for "Brining Bait "Ale's". Should answer most of your questions.

Martin

1 hour ago, Martin1950 said:

I'd be inclined to believe your heads are for cut bait. My B.W. whole-bait heads work great.

A couple of years back I posted a step-by-step thread on how I do it. I don't want to over load this thread so do a search for "Brining Bait "Ale's". Should answer most of your questions.

Martin

Excellent. 

Looks like I am using Cut Bait rigs instead of whole bait. I didn't even know there were whole bait rigs - time to buy a few more rigs.

Looked up the link - very good info, nice work on the video. I pasted the link below.

Thanks

https://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/fishing-hunting-outdoors/topic/40203-brining-bait-ales/?tab=comments#comment-160837

I've been doing this but have been cutting off the heads and freezing.
- And, are you flattening the heads or cutting to fit in the rigs? maybe there are bigger head rigs out there...?
I cut the heads off because I don't trust there's enough meat in their head to stay on a rig. I just put mine in half canning salt and half store brand borax, it made the meat leathery tough and they don't go bad in the fridge

Sent from my SM-G930V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

When the water near shore turns over they gather around the piers and you can cast net them up

I have never seen them up here in the north. The water never turns over. I'm 2 hours from Frankfort. And that would be the closest I think I could find them. But with no connections for when the alewives are in its pointless for me to drive that far just to check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I have never seen them up here in the north. The water never turns over. I'm 2 hours from Frankfort. And that would be the closest I think I could find them. But with no connections for when the alewives are in its pointless for me to drive that far just to check.

I've never been north of Whitehall during a flip so I guess I can't speak for those ports. I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine gets them in Manistee harbor though

I've never been north of Whitehall during a flip so I guess I can't speak for those ports. I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine gets them in Manistee harbor though

I'm 3hrs from manistee. I use to net them with smelt nets in lake charlevoix when they came in to spawn. But haven't seen them in more than 15 years. Right now if wanted any kind of bait for meat rigs I would have to order online.

I'm 3hrs from manistee. I use to net them with smelt nets in lake charlevoix when they came in to spawn. But haven't seen them in more than 15 years. Right now if wanted any kind of bait for meat rigs I would have to order online.

The online stuff works well too! Much easier that's for sure. Familiar Bite makes very good strips, sometimes I even re freeze them and use them again. Just don't spend money on Dreamweaver strips, they use ballyhoo and it just isn't the same in any aspect.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk