6/25/18, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

After a blow day yesterday complete with stiff northeast winds and driving rain, we headed out this morning with winds just over 10 knots. Things were looking pretty good until the wind suddenly came up another five knots just as we reached the fishing area. We set up for our first trolling pass in two footers, but by the end of that run we had threes. We took two long passes through that spot covering about three miles on each one and managed about a dozen walleyes on each pass, so not too bad. By the end of the second pass though the wind had increase a few more knots and the waves were more in the four foot range with an occasional five footer thrown in for good measure. We decided to head closer to shore where Pt. Lookout would block the wind more. We had several fish on right away, lost a couple of them but did put some walleyes in the box there too. Finally the wind hit 20 knots and even close to shore it was getting real rough so we called it a day. We pulled most of our fish off the bottom today trolling at a very erratic 1.0 to 2.0 mph with the surging waves. Color of the harnesses did not mater much with everything in the water getting hit. We did seem to have our best luck with the two flatlines though, which had two different harnesses on them, but both were on bottom. I've have trips booked every day for the next couple weeks and hopefully the weather will stabilize one of these days. I'm getting tired of northeast winds. I think we've broken a record with over a week straight with NE winds.

Capt. Mike Veine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1