How many of you fishermen still do this

caznik

What do you do when a rod takes off..  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when a rod takes off..

• Run to the rod all excited
    • Just walk over there like its only a fish..

I just say to who ever is on board "you want to grab that rod there a fish on". I prefer having the guests on board reel in the fish. I get satifaction on finding the fish, picking the days presentation and setting the rods. Thats what I call fishing, the rest is just reeling them in.

My Fishing buddy always say to me that you must have a sense

That you know when the fish will strike!! If I drive the boat and looking forward

and he looks at the rods, and I often turn and then see before him

and shout fish on take that rod!!!!,he say to me how can you see and know it before me when you mostly look forward!!

I think like several others have write, that it is a part of the FUN fishing that you get EXCITED when the fish STRIKE!! an RUN to the rod

Must it soon be SPRING!! Here in Sweden we have 3 ft of snow and the worse winter we have in years

I think that it will take to at least mid or the end of April before the first fishing on the lake!!

Sorry fo my spelling and wording I am Swedish.

Tight lines to you all !!

Jonas you did alright, just keep sending those swedish women are way..

I'm learning to just relax when a fish hit's not grab the pole tighten the drag and lose the big fish....I'm still not over last summer losing two large fish that hit on my wire lines, very hard and well I did the ROOKIE thing and HORSED THEM IN.. yeah well look who's the ASS now............Fishermans prayer..." I will learn to losen the drag on every spinning reel,then lift the rod from the holder and reel them in slowly, and learn to let them run, oh Lord of fish Hear my prayer..."

Ok, I Yell, Jump and knock people out of the way. But I'll raise the antie...

I have yelled fish-on at the boat beside us.. We were in the troling line out in front of the Michigan City breakwater, and a boat coming back up the other side had a rod bump bump bumping, and nobody was paying attention we saw it and started yelling and pointing at their rod.. I think they lost the fish:lol::no:

• 4 months later...

Fish-on I yell, get out of the way not to be a rod hog or anything, but get there,getter done, I don't even take the rod out of the rod holder till I have the weight on the rod, just like you would fish coho, then I hand it off, I don't lose to many fish if there good.

Even if I am driving the boat, I typically beat everyone to the rod when they go off. I can almost jump from the drivers seat to the opposite rigger in a single bound. If you are in the way, you may get an elbow, knee or something else to the head.

Ok you are out fishing with your buddies and the line's are all set. Downrigger's rod's bent over, dipsie's ready to go, and your full core just ready to get the big rank. When a rod takes off, do you get off your butt and run right over there excited. Or do you just walk over there like its just a fish. I been fishing this way for 20 years now and I still run for the rod all excited and yelling FISH ON. But I have notice there is a few guys that just walk up to the rod when a rod takes off when fishing with me. But later on they end up running for them after I start yelling FISH ON for nothing...:D

I get very excited and usually get to the pole first unless I already have one in my hands. But if you are a guest you will have the rod handed to you for the first fish . Nothing finer that a head shaking king on the end of your line, except when the line starts to peel off at the same time.

My father said it best " Is the pole suppose to be standing up like that?" I replied yea, its the lead core, wrong ! NO!!!! it was the rigger rod ,FISH ON!!!

OMG older but funny thread, full contact FISH ON, I jump for sure, Now if My 18 year old 6'8" 220lb son is on board keep ur distance cause he thinks he just snapped the ball, get out of the way!!:eek: ROFLMAO good post I never saw

• 5 months later...

I usually give the throttle a little jolt that hooks the fish and makes it mad. It also gets someone moving toward the back of the boat. It is when the rod goes off and just goes down that you had better get out of my way. When the rod stays down it is a good indication that you have a big fish on there. Had one guy in the boat once, I dragged a 10 pound salmon for 10 minutes before he realized that I did have a fish on by then I had two fish going.

• 1 month later...

I get pumped up like a little kid man! So do most of the people I fish with. Hope to be yellin "fish on" a lot this year. Being this is going to be my first year on the big water I am a little nervous that I won't catch many fish. Been reading anything I can find for tips.

My father and I both run. And in the excitement last year he tried to set the hook after he had released the DR and forgot to reel down. I have never seen someone fall on their A** so fast. I almost fell down laughing:thumb::thumb::grin:

Got yell at once because I made it from a fly bridge to a dipsy rod in 3 steps.:grin:

now that be funny... when no one looking and it is slow let the pole stand stright up walk way then yelll fish on :lol::lol::lol:

I know a dirty trick but fun untill your fishing parnter gets you on the same trick

I cant wait until this snow melts off the boat. We got about 2`` of snow this moring i thought it was to rain all day:confused:

It will not be long

Strik

• 4 weeks later...

if the people on my boat dont go for the rod, next time they may stay at home. if i can get to the rod first then i get the pleasure of the first run. im 60 yrs old and have been fishing the big water since 1977. i yell fish on and race to the rod.

the worst one would be when im "relieving"myself over the side and a rod goes off..you better keep youre eyes up and youre feet back...(cus you know you cant stop once you start:lol:)

now that has happened to me about 100 times over the years, Its better now that I have a head on the boat.:thumb:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

new member here but had to use my first post for this one. One time i connected knee to knee with my cousin while going from the front of my 16 ft northwood toward a rigger rod that went down and didnt get back up. I didnt feel a thing and you know that means he was hurting bad after that one. Now I try to find a clear path and then charge, sometimes I forget when I am driving and remember when I am holding a rod and am wondering why we are doing circles.

Ok, I Yell, Jump and knock people out of the way. But I'll raise the antie...

I have yelled fish-on at the boat beside us.. We were in the troling line out in front of the Michigan City breakwater, and a boat coming back up the other side had a rod bump bump bumping, and nobody was paying attention we saw it and started yelling and pointing at their rod.. I think they lost the fish:lol::no:

we did the same thing happen to us one time. we were at south haven just movin down the lake and at that time we were just using riggers so we were pretty close. and i look over and see this rod going nuts. i start yelling fish on just as loud as i could yell. all the guys on my boat was going nuts. the guys on the other boat was looking at us. i started yelling you,ve got a fish on, it was really funny when they all figured out they had the fish and somebody got the rod. and they were even nice enough to put out a call on the radio and thanked us.LOL. and they did get the fish. that all happened about 25 yrs ago. and the little kid in me still comes out when that rod goes off. i still love it. FISH ON FISH ON!!! i,ll quit fishin when i dont feel that child in me anymore.

sherman