How many of you fishermen still do this

caznik

What do you do when a rod takes off..  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when a rod takes off..

• Run to the rod all excited
    • Just walk over there like its only a fish..

Ok you are out fishing with your buddies and the line's are all set. Downrigger's rod's bent over, dipsie's ready to go, and your full core just ready to get the big rank. When a rod takes off, do you get off your butt and run right over there excited. Or do you just walk over there like its just a fish. I been fishing this way for 20 years now and I still run for the rod all excited and yelling FISH ON. But I have notice there is a few guys that just walk up to the rod when a rod takes off when fishing with me. But later on they end up running for them after I start yelling FISH ON for nothing...:D

12' can be a haul back and forth across the deck when their snappin'! But I still run for 'em. Just can't seem to help myself. Usually I find I say"THERE WE GO!!":eek: Sometimes it surprises the passengers a bit......:D I like my first mates to be the same way. I think if we were bored at our task the customers wouldn't enjoy the trip as much either.

I had a guy workin the back once, he's 70, about 6' 9" and 275 lbs.of gruff old irishman. He's jumpin for rods and hollerin..."FISHON!"...at the top of his lungs every rip! Thought a couple customers were gonna :scare2: poop their britches from fright!..........:rotflmao:

Don't be between me and a rod that goes, unless you have the rod in your hand. I got used to running free sliders to get another lure in the water. It is so important to grab that shaking rod and reel up the slack.The same goes when a release trips, you need to put some tension on the fish. I have had a quite a few Kings come at the boat. Nothing worse than slack line.

I am with Priority1 on getting there as quick as you can to get the rod out of the holder and get to cranking and get the slack line taken up and put some pressure on the fish to keep him stuck. It don't take much slack for a fish to sit the hook so the sooner the better.

get out of the way ,here i come even if im driveing ,chances are that i will hand the rod off to some one but its a hard habet to brake!

p.s its prity bad if your out with heavy actoin and myself ,becouse its like FULL BODY CONTACT SALMON FISHING

Well for me its like the first few fish i get all excited but after that i just usually yell "fish", but i'm usually driving, now my brother in the back at 6'2 235lbs stay out of his way he'll take ya down. But i still get excited when a rod goes off especially when its still dark out when the spreader lights are on.

I still run like crazy when a rod goes off. :D When running sliders, I've been with guys who grab the rod and pull back and reel like no tomorrow. With others, they leave the rod in the holder and reel until the slack is taken up and THEN grab the rod.

What do you guys do?

Yell fish on and watch everyone trip over each other trying to get to the rod. Unless My dad the super tramp goes then you wear ear plugs and get the Hell out of his way. If your dont wear ear plugs you will suffer some hearing loss when he yells FISH ON. He is partially def from working in a paper mill for 30 years.

I think everybody that hangs out at a Great Lakes Fisherman website still gets all excited when a rod pops.

Thats what makes us such geeks about fishing.

I have to admit, kind of like Dirty Dogs boat with Heavy Action, when its the 2 that fished with me all last year, we got a little full contact fishing going on in my boat too!

I FRIGGING LOVE IT!!!

T

A rubber band stretched under a fishes strain, that suttle tap shooting up my arm when jig fishing, a Rooster Pheasant flushing in front of my dog or 50 Mallards circling overhead on my favorite corn field, are the only things left that still excites me. If you don't believe me ask the wife. :no:

When a rod takes off, do you get off your butt and run right over there excited. Or do you just walk over there like its just a fish.

I think thats like asking...

Men: Which magazine would you rather look at while on the porcelain throne Maxim or Readers Digest?

Women: Which show would you rather go see Chip-n-dales or Tupperware?

LOL...

Slack line = lost fish

When a rigger goes off I don't care if you take the rod out of the holder, just reel all the slack up as fast as you can, even more so if it's a slider hit.

On some days my buddy has cat like reflexes, he just pounces on any rod that goes off, I never really have a chance.

The only exception is a rod on a planer board, like leadcore. Sometimes a fish on a full core might run a bit before a decision is made on who's turn it is to reel it in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

FISH FISH FISH Spill the coffee or anything else I'm eating or drinking while grabbing the rod:D. That was last year,my first season of Great Lakes fishing. Fished off of a 12' boat with a 1956 7.5 hp Evinrude and a small electric kicker. Now I have a 24' thompson woohoo:grin: so it will be easier to clean the spills.

FISH FISH FISH Spill the coffee or anything else I'm eating or drinking while grabbing the rod:D. That was last year,my first season of Great Lakes fishing. Fished off of a 12' boat with a 1956 7.5 hp Evinrude and a small electric kicker. Now I have a 24' thompson woohoo:grin: so it will be easier to clean the spills.

Any pictures of that boat Andrew?

Me being the young kid that i am and with my grandpa be 3/4 deaf and when i see and fish on everyone on the shelf knows we got fish on. I have had people that fish with us wait for me to grab the rod because they know they might get a hip check to the floor. I think that there should be a tv show about FULL CONTACT SALMON FISHING. I mean why not them bass guys dont have anyone to run in to its them 80lbs braid and a 3 lbs pounds fish. lol. The only time that there is a whine about a rod is when a full core goes and then it pointin fingers whos up on that one.

I've run people over to get to a fish. Too many times my friends have panicked and couldn't figure out which rod I was talking about. But when I'm fishing with Redeagle (Mike) and a full core goes off he'll run you over going in the opposite direction:D