Leade Core User's

Hey you pro salmon fishermen,

I get asked this question alot but just don't really know what the right answer would be for the fishermen that are asking me this question. Ok, if you are running three different lead core's to the side of your boat. Whitch core should you put out first. You know there is full core, six core, three color core, and more. My guess would be full core out first than the next smaller core second. Just maybe there is other member's on this site that like to know the same question and could help them out.

Who can help out,

Cazzz :confused:

The line closest to the boat should be the line that sinks the most. Starting from the inside boards I usually run a copper (300'), then 15 color, 12.5 color, full core, etc.

This helps avoid tangles when fighting fish and when reseting lines. Also you usually have more backer on the smaller cores which helps when putting them farther from the boat.

I carry two of each: copper(300'), 15 color, 12.5 color, 10 color(full core), 7.5 color, 5 color(half core), and 2.5 color, and 8 high lines.

That covers just about any board application I need, and definately all I want to worry about choosing from!:crazy:

The line closest to the boat should be the line that sinks the most. Starting from the inside boards I usually run a copper (300'), then 15 color, 12.5 color, full core, etc.

This helps avoid tangles when fighting fish and when reseting lines. Also you usually have more backer on the smaller cores which helps when putting them farther from the boat.

I carry two of each: copper(300'), 15 color, 12.5 color, 10 color(full core), 7.5 color, 5 color(half core), and 2.5 color.

Levi,

I was hoping that you would answer this question because I know that you probly get out more and use alot of the core stuff. Ok so you are saying to put the core that has the most line out closest to the boat right? Because I thought maybe it would be the other way around. Also you use 15 color core, man I bet your customers really like reeling in that stuff...:D

You always put the shallowest running core the fartherest out. The deepest running cores are closest to the boat, just as Levi explained. When weather permits, we run 4 core rods on a side. For example, the 8 or 10 color is farthest from the boat, then a pair of 13 colors, then a few 15 colors, and lastly the 17 and 20 color rods closest to the boat. I hope this explains it well enough!

Thanks guys,

Now if someone asks me again I can tell them the right answer. Just maybe other fishermen that might be thinking about the same question will read this and know what to do know.

Thanks again Levi and Hitman,

Rich

Yeah Caz, I've listened to 'em whine a bit!;) Think of poor Hitman's guests with the 20 color! OUCH!!!:lol:

We do three things to help out:

1. We use Shimano Tekota 800's for the increase of line retrieval per crank (no they don't endorse me)
  2. We bring the board to the boat for 'em if they want (after the first time they want for sure)
  3. We will always suggest they put the rod in a center holder for the less avid angler, just offer it to others

I've watched young and old give it their all to bring in big 'ol Kings on 15 colors. They never forget that fish for sure!

These Charter Captains have to produce fish for their customers. Boards and leadcore are for the spooky fish. Dipsys for me have been HOT. I have used the planerboards for Walleye for over 20 years. You spook the fish to the sides, and have something waiting for them.

The riggers produce, for those in your face fish that have no fear of lead balls, prop wash, cables, etc.

What I feel about the leadcore on planerboards, and Dipsy presentations is not that much different than the boards for Walleye. Picture this. The boat and riggers pass over some spooky fish. The fish scatter to the sides. What do you have waiting for them?? Dipsy 75-150 ft back. Another Dipsy 100-200 ft back. Leadcore on planerboards 600 ft back. The stealth like presentation of the Dipsys and Planer boards is also there for the undisturbed fish that they happen to pass in front of. So these off the side presentations target the fish they normally would pass over, but also the fish spooked by the rest of your gear. Why these presentations have been outdoing riggers is just that simple. Of course this is just my way of looking at it, and I may be wrong. Let's ask the fish.:)

You are absolutely correct Priority1. Although not completely IMO. Leadcore has different characteristics than mono or other lines and presents your baits a little different than them as well. It works like a rope in the water. On turns your outside lines go faster than with other lines and slower on the inside, actually sinking. Close your eyes and picture a wounded baitfish trying to evade a predator. When you see them attemping to swim they kind of veer a curve, not just make a darting evasive turn like normal. Leadcore imparts this type of action to baits, and I think I have caught many a fish due to these subtle changes.

Believe me when I say if I didn't have faith in this, I would just use snap weights and drop weights to achieve the same depths and distance from the boat.

While not always being nessessary to box a bunch of fish, leadcore is a regular part of my arsenal and I would feel a little shorthanded not running it in open water.

Ok now say if I wanted to run (2) mono rods, one on each side of the boat with inline weights and planers on them at various lengths, and a 2 color on one side and a 3 color on the other side also with inline planers wich ones should i put on the outside and wich ones on the inside? Or should i put both leadcores on the same side with the 2 color out first then 3 color second (seems like a big mess waitin to happen), and both monos with inline weights on the same side?

You always put your mono or surface boards out first, so they are the fartherest from the boat. You would then put your lead core rods closer to the boat. When you want to reset a rod you just let it free spool straight out the back of the boat and then when you think it is time, stop free spooling and the board will pull right back into it's original position. For example, when offshore fishing, we usually run 4 surface boards and 6 lead core boards. We would have 2 surface boards on a side and 3 lead core boards on a side. The 2 surface boards would be fartherest from the boat with a 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz, and then your 2 color, then a 3 color and then a 5 color coming closer to the boat, etc.

Great advise guys, I only have one Full core rig so I run it straight down the pike. One time last year it took a hit and didn't hook up so I grabbed the rod pumped it and let it back a few times, BAMM! Fish on (nice 15 pound King) I don't think that fish would of hit it again if not for the pumping action.

Have you guys ever,

When running all your spread, put out a full core right down the middle of everything.

Cazzzzzz

Yes. Never do it again. Lost 2 nice fish that way. You have 300+ feet of line straight out behind the boat. Way to much for a fish to run into. Maybe if the beam of your boat is 10' plus.

• 2 months later...
Great advise guys, I only have one Full core rig so I run it straight down the pike. One time last year it took a hit and didn't hook up so I grabbed the rod pumped it and let it back a few times, BAMM! Fish on (nice 15 pound King) I don't think that fish would of hit it again if not for the pumping action.

I've gotten smacked reeling them in to change a bait too.

I've gotten smacked reeling them in to change a bait too.

My favorite!!!!!!

Seriously....., nothing like getting down to the last color and having it all peel back out again!

• 2 weeks later...

I use rubber bands on the line to keep the board from sliding. I just half-hitch a rubber band on the line and then put the pin in the back of the board through the loop. My boards are set-up not to release. These are Walleye boards.