What was your hottest weapon in 2006 fishing in the Great Lakes  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What was your hottest weapon in 2006 fishing in the Great Lakes

• Downrigger's
    • Dipsie's
    • High Line's
    • Core Rod's (Which core) Post your SWR rod

Hello Member's

So what was your hot fishing weapon for fishing salmon in the great lakes last year. I like to use four riggers with at least one SWR rod on my deepest rigger. I like to run two dipsie rods also and leave my dipies set at three. My first time last year I started to use full core rods also. I know it takes alot of work getting those fish in with that stuff. But I really think last year my hottest weapon was my full core. When I was fishing in my fishing league. Alot of times I was doing nothing at all with my other stuff. But my full core went off when the other was dead.

Full core is my choice of my #1 weapon in 2006. :D

How deep is really deep? Ifish down to 150' or 175'. It's amazing how ya can't get bit on riggers up in the top 70' sometimes but the lead core will light em up! Lead core is by far my most productive set ups we run 3 or 4 per side whenever conditions allow.

My Dipsys were hot, but I haven't run leadcore yet. I have the gear, and will try leadcore this year. Does anyone run leadcore in the dark? It seems like it would be tough to do. I probably wouldn't even try it unless I was a mile away from everyone, and it was daylight. Thanks in advance.

My Dipsys were hot, but I haven't run leadcore yet. I have the gear, and will try leadcore this year. Does anyone run leadcore in the dark? It seems like it would be tough to do. I probably wouldn't even try it unless I was a mile away from everyone, and it was daylight. Thanks in advance.

Let me tell you something,

I run lead core at night..BUT there better not be any boats around you just in case they go to close behind you to cut you off. So don't be afraid to try it. You just have to be on the watch at all times.

Trust me you will like lead core for catching fish. But let the other guy real them in...:D

Cazzzz

Also Offshore Tackle sells lighted strobes that can be attached to your flag on your inlines. They flash a real visible red and the batteries are replaceable watch type. I personally have not run lead core in the dark. Only time I run boards in the dark is stucture trolling for walleye. For salmon in the dark I try to cut back to three riggers and one dipsey per side. Safer and much less chance of tangles.

Also Offshore Tackle sells lighted strobes that can be attached to your flag on your inlines. They flash a real visible red and the batteries are replacable watch type. I personally have not run lead core in the dark. Only time I run boards in the dark is stucture fishing for walleye. For salmon in the dark I try to cut back to three riggers and one dipsey per side. Safer and much less chance of tangles.

Ya but that still don't stop other boats going close behind you....:D

full core out bolth sides . Stinger Jawbreaker on one side and Stinger bloodynose out the other. A close second would be the inside rigger with smoke opti and green ice fly 8' behind the ball with a 30" distance between the doger and fly and swr on the other inside rigger with blue green dolphin fishlander, with the doger and fly 10' above the swr. always my two deepest.

Wow I figure by now that core would be pretty much in the leed.

pretty close,

Cazzzzzz

Ya, I'm kinda surprised to see how even everything is, too. It probably has as much to do with the techinique perfected by each fisherman as it does the presentation style.

I'm with Dirty Dog though, my cores were much slower in late July and August. I could keep the riggers and divers going better than cores in mid to late summer. Late April through May, it was the opposite and core was the ticket with an occaisonal rigger/dipsey hit.

Hitman,

That is about the same lineup as me. I have just started to pull copper in the end of "05" and increased to 2 set-ups last season. Both 30#. I am planning on adding 2 45#rigs this spring. I have a question for you and all who are copper savvy: Have you ever noticed a lot of screaming rips on copper that just seem to come unbuttoned within the first minute or less? I have this occuring from time to time and am looking for an input for a fix.

Thanks

We have had a lot of "bad eaters" on the copper rods over the last 3 years. Yes, we do get a lot of foul hooked fish on the copper and they do come unpinned within a minute or so, or we fight them and they come in side-ways and foul hooked, etc. Anyways, we do catch a lot of foul hooked fish on the copper or if we lose some of them initial line ripping fish, there are scales on the hooks; a good indicator the hook wasn't in it's mouth. :)

Hi all,

my best rig for walleye is the meatball :D, it's not a good idea for salmon or trout but puts lots of fish in the box for walleye. Set up is a downrigger with a 5 foot leader tied to the ball, no fishing rod. I run it a lot, and customers love when they bring the downrigger up and theres a walleye hangin on. I know it sounds cruel, but very affective for walleye. I get outstanding results compared to having a rod hooked up to the rigger, no hum, and it produces. Although I have had trout jump right behind the boat and my first thought is there goes another spoon..

We have been big on core for a few years now. We carry 6 core rods and often run them all. I guess alot of it is that we have alot confidence in it and I think we are pretty good at running it.

I actually removed 2 of my riggers this year and will focus more on other rods. Our rigger fish are down tremendously and there are plenty of other ways to catch them.

We have also been running alot of wire lines with 1# balls, this was actually our #1 rig for big fish last year. We run these off the rear corners where the outdown riggers would be. These rods seem to get going around mid morning and always pulled the bigger fish.

Dave