Slide divers breaking line

Has anyone been experiencing slide divers breaking the line as they are being retrieved near the back of their boat without any fish on or caught on anything obvious on the boat. I have experience the lost of 3 slide divers in the past week on different line types. I have used these units for several years with no problem and the proper knots for the type of line. These were new divers from different stores. I'm wondering if they are having a quality control issue leaving edges on different components that fray the lines, leaving them to break under non fish load conditions. 

Anyway for the report. Launched late 11:30am-4. Fished from 110-150. Went 1/2  catching 9# king in east troll, 2.5 sog with SS mag blue dolphin on 250 copper. Marked lots of fish. Catchable fish in top 50 fow. Lost 1st fish when it spit the hook as it neared the boat. Waves were a choppy 2ft and laid down very late.

2018-06-20 17.55.42.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe a nick in a guide on the rod?  I had that once and had 2-3 boards break off at the rod tip just trolling along.

Q-tips are very handy for looking for sharp edges be it on guides or the divers themselves.

I run heavy wall surgical tubing at the arm of the diver instead of the spring they used to provide, and maybe still do.

Maybe a nick in a guide on the rod?  I had that once and had 2-3 boards break off at the rod tip just trolling along.
Q-tips are very handy for looking for sharp edges be it on guides or the divers themselves.
I run heavy wall surgical tubing at the arm of the diver instead of the spring they used to provide, and maybe still do.
I didn't find any nicks on the guides, but it only happens on the slide diver when I use the heavier weight and ring regardless of the line type. I noticed on the larger ring that the part that it's edge seems a little sharper and that the front of it where it is somewhat square it's edge is even sharper. I have since sandpapered all of the rings edges and the square area just in front also on the larger ring. I'm going to test it without the ring at first just to see if it happens at all without the big ring. I have never been to crazy about that spring set up. Is the surgical tubing you use the same length as the spring?
The standard dipsys don't have the sharp edges on the ring or the little square form near the front on the larger ring if one is attached to them. The rings are very smooth. Thanks for some ideas to try.

Have you used the heavier weight and ring?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I'm using the 4 oz weight and the large ring . I tried the larger weight and didn't like the way it pulled. Also i use the rubber and not the spring on the release. All my slide divers are the light bite style. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

NO issues here with Slide Divers, i run a hi and lo using wire and braid. 30# braid on the hi and a 25' lead of 50# braid on the lo to my wire. I do use the surgical tubing not the spring provided in the accessory kit. 

Those babies are NOT cheap hopefully you find the root cause soon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you putting a bead on your line between the diver and the swivel? I lost one diver and then installed a bead between the diver ant the swivel so the diver can’t reach the knot. This seams to have worked. I haven’t lost one since. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

• Thanks 1