Long day on the water with not much success. Fished from 7:30- 3 with a newbie. Beautiful day on the water despite only putting two fish in the box. Went NW to 150 fow set a N troll, ( wanted to go NW but kept getting pinched by all the boats) circled back in to 140 before things cleared out so I could head for deeper water. Didn't seem to matter what I pulled, couldn't get bit! Watched several fish rise to bait on the Graff only to swim back down. Went deep into the tackle and finally at 1:30 got our first hit in 160, SW troll, on a swr w 3 c rigger down 35 with a... Loco spoon! 11# king. Stayed at that depth for another hour then turned back to the spot of the first fish picking up another king on a Dipsy back 200 on 3 with a green paddle, grn fly. 7#er. Swung through the area one more time with no result so I packed it in for the day. Felt like I had bad juju on my bait watching those fish rise and fall away.

IMG_20180527_151712416.jpg

Thanks for the reports.  Fish weren't hitting downriggers last couple days.   Tried long/short leads but many fish were swimming up and then back down on the graph.  100 & 200 copper a mile away from the boat seemed to be what they wanted.

I saw a post on Facebook by Sea Flea Charters in Grand Haven saying they were using planing downrigger weights.  Ones with the fins that carry the weights a bit left and right.

Thanks for the reports.  Fish weren't hitting downriggers last couple days.   Tried long/short leads but many fish were swimming up and then back down on the graph.  100 & 200 copper a mile away from the boat seemed to be what they wanted.

what kind of fish finder are you using if you don’t mind me asking ? It seems like i’m typically never marking fish at all, even when they are biting doesn’t seem like i mark much of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I have a Humminbird 999ci.  The key for me is that it has a 50hz / 200hz transducer.  I turn off fish location and just read the sonar signal myself.  In turn up the gain/sensitivity as high as possible until just before a bunch of interference shows up.  Also the transducer is tilted slightly backwards.