Caznik Flies (How to make them)

Hi Member's,

Well with my boat not ready and I still just cannot do much. I had Sea-Mac come over to make some flies Saturday. I ended up making some green flies and some purple mirage flies. While Mike made all kinds of different colors. Now I will take you step by step on how I make my flies. I know there is other ways on how to do this, but I am willing to show you member's how to make flies my way.

Step one:

DSCF2349.JPG

Things that you will need is. Hard 1/8"OD emission tubing and either the rubber vacum hose or the clear hose to fit over the OD of the emission tubing. You will also need scotch tape, two 2/0 single hooks, swivels, fly making materials, beads, fly making tool with thread, and 50lb test mono. Now you do not have to use the hooks that I use or the fishing line or the size beeds that I use. But this is just the stuff I use to make my flies.

Step two:

DSCF2350.JPG

Cut the fly material in half and the half that you cut. Either split it in half or use the whole thing. Then you lay it out even and spread it out some and put some scotch tape on the top half way down the top of the colored fly materieal. Cut about a 4" piece of your 1/8" emission tubing.

Step three:

DSCF2351.JPG

Then you have to start rapping the tape around the top of your emision tubing. Rapp it nice and tight when you go around the tubing.

Step four:

DSCF2354.JPG

Then you have to get your fly tool and start rapping the thread around you fly material just below the tape. Wrap the thread around about a 1/4" and tight the knot tight.

Step five:

DSCF2356.JPG

After you get it all wraped up with your thread. Then you can take your scicors and cut off the exta material off just above your thread. Becarefull and not cut the thread.

Step six:

DSCF2358.JPG

After you make your cut then you can start making the head of the fly. Just cut off about a 1/4" of the rubber hose and put it on the emission tubing and slide it all the way down to the fly material till it will not go any further. Then your fly should be able to fan outward like it suppose to.

Step seven:

DSCF2362.JPG

Now it is time to put on what ever hooks you like to put on your fly and use what ever fishing line you like to use.

Steep eight:

DSCF2363.JPG

After you tie on your hooks. Now you can put on whatever beads you like to use. I put on either three or four at the bottom of the fly.

Steep nine:

DSCF2365.JPG

Here is the last part of making your fly. Just slid on four beads., then your fly and then put on two more beads. Then cut off whatever size of you fishing line and tie on a snap swivel.

Here is all the colors that I have made:

DSCF2367.JPG

Here is Sea- Mac at work :D

DSCF2366.JPG

DSCF2359.JPG

DSCF2347.JPG

Most of your fly making stuff you need you can get at your local auto shop or ace hardware store. Your beads you can get at any craft store.

Great Post Caz!

Thanks Levi,

I have never seen anyone post something like this. So I thought I'd show some members how to do it.

Now Member's

I like to know how many members like to come over at my house to learn how to make flies. All you need to do is bring your own stuff and we can have a fly making outing. Let me know how many would be intrested in doing this so I can make a date when to.

Like to help,

Rich

Excellent post Caz. Did i hear you say you tied 6 for each one of us.....LOL.Good job well now all you got to do is go and catch fish on em..

It is a big savings when you can make them your self. I do catch lots of fish on them to.

It is a big savings when you can make them your self. I do catch lots of fish on them to.

We make all of ours too, and yes it is ALOT CHEAPER to make your own its pretty simple to do.... Do you make different lengths we have some that are close to 4ft and do good with them, and if they dont tear them apart and shorten them up....

Thanks again for inviting me over and showing me how to make these flys.I picked up some more colors and some different kinda material at GM when i got back home.I will post a picture of the ones i made and the ones im about to make in a day or two, but for right now im beat. We picked our boat up today and had it ready to go by 3pm. then went to Port Sheldon.The end of last year i had brought my boat in to get a small leak fixed and they said they had to replace 14 rivets but then found no more leaks.Well the thing still has a leak somewhere.:angry2:. We made it out to the bubbler anyways and then moved in to 8-10fow and then trolled around in Pigeon Lake a lil before giving up.Talked to two guys as we were headin out that caught a brown and a steelie and another guy when we came in that had the same luck as us.Now i have to bring my boat back in tomorrow and have them fix it again.

Well heres the ones i made at your house and some of the different material im going to use to make some more.Waiting on a shipment of 2/0 and 3/0 hooks then can make my leaders and throw on the beads. IMG_0541.jpg

Great post Caznik. I was wondering about the single hooks. All the flies I've ever bought had treble hooks on them, but my hook up ratio isn't the greatest. Maybe the single hooks will improve my hook-up ratio. Please respond if this is the case. Has it improved your hook-up ratio?

Thanks,

Lef T

Great post Caznik. I was wondering about the single hooks. All the flies I've ever bought had treble hooks on them, but my hook up ratio isn't the greatest. Maybe the single hooks will improve my hook-up ratio. Please respond if this is the case. Has it improved your hook-up ratio?

Thanks,

Lef T

Oh ya it sure has for me. I use two 2/0 single on each fly. Have you ever used any squids. Well that is where I got the idea for use two singles on my flies.

Trust me it works good,

Rich

You could snell a 2/0 single hook and then have a treble snelled a few inches above that and the single will work as a trailer hook.Ive hooked a few fish last year on single hooks that went completely thru the bone on the lower jaw, making it even hard for me to unhook them when they are in the boat and with pliers, from then on ive been sold.

We make all of ours too, and yes it is ALOT CHEAPER to make your own its pretty simple to do.... Do you make different lengths we have some that are close to 4ft and do good with them, and if they dont tear them apart and shorten them up....

You make them 4' long. Holy cow....

Or is it 4"....:D

Hey guys,

Huntingfool just got off the phone with me and he happen to tell me about the fly making stuff on ebay. Its alot cheaper there if you take a look. Allso check out the tubing stuff there to.

lots of stuff,

Rich

Excellent post,

I would love to come over, but a 14 hour drive to make flies seams a little much. I would like to know were you get you matarial (flashaboo , mylar, or whatever it is)? Is it local or an internet source? I have used the material from Purple Taco before.

Thanks for the post, great job.

Richard

Excellent post,

I would love to come over, but a 14 hour drive to make flies seams a little much. I would like to know were you get you matarial (flashaboo , mylar, or whatever it is)? Is it local or an internet source? I have used the material from Purple Taco before.

Thanks for the post, great job.

Richard

Lets see here:

Fashaboo you can get at Janns net craft and at cabelas or even looks like siggs riggs has the stuff to. I get my tubing from auto zone and the beads at any craft store. But I talked to Sea Mac yesterday and he found a new tubbing that is for fly making. Here is the web site to get all your tubbing at........http://www.hmhvises.com/

Caznik

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great read Caz I have a big bag of glow heads I bought on Ebay to make my own with. Just finished building a bunch of Siggs Rigs I bought gonna try and get some photos in for the month if I find some fish Fri morn. I don't buy pre made flies anymore since I retie them anyhow. I spend way to much on this sport but love catching big fish.

Tight Lines

Jim