Rigger/Release Question

I run walker releases and have mine just about 7" above the cannon ball and allways works well for me. What are you fishing for with those 8lb balls. I gave up 8lb balls long time ago because of to much of the cable dragging behind the boat. If your fishing with good riggers go with 12lb. balls. You will like them much better. They keep your cable from dragging so much.

Cazz

I use the Walkers also and they are just above the ball whatever distance the snaps are. I know some balls have a place to hook the release, but I think it's a little safer a touch above the ball. If you ball starts ticking the bottom at least your lure will have a few inches of insurance and hopefully not foul up.

Make a 8"-12" cable with downrigger cable and a snap at each end. Snap one end to the rear eyelet of the cannonball. Leave the other open and attach your line to it with a rubber band. You should notice a real obvious increase in hooking percentages.

I was wondering how far above the weight you guys are attaching the release. I run 8lb balls and use DuBro releases attached right on top of the ball. Anyone attach them higher with a lead?

Ok Muskybob you made me get off my butt and work on this for you.:D Here are some pictures that I have taken so you can see what I am talking about.

Picture #1

DSCF2345.JPG

This is called a true track that you have to connect on to your downrigger cable.

Picture #2

DSCF2346.JPG

I hope you dont mind the turkeys butt in the back ground.:D But anyways this is how my rig is set up on my rigger. The true track is connected to the rigger cable. Then I hook up a walker release on the true track. Then your cannon ball will hook up to your walker release. I hope this will help you out some. Those walker releses I allways used and they have been very good for me.

Good luck,

Caznik

Thanks for the tip Capt. Levi. I mostly run two riggers, so I'll switch one to the Rubber band set up. I Used rubber bands for yrs off my big boards. I have one Downrigger cable that needs a couple of feet chopped of because it's frayed. I'll just chop an extra foot off and make one these LEVI SPECIALS. I can't say that I had that many releases with no one home with the Walkers. One thing for sure this is as inexpensive as you can get, and if it works even just as well I'll be sold.:)

Well now ya made me blush. But I didn't invent the idea for sure. Got it partly from Shades and then saw another setup online at another forum. Just seems to work for me so I thought I would share it.

BTW I still have the walkers attached to my cable line in case I run low on rubber bands!:P

Hi all, When I was down at the Sport Fishing show in Grand Rapids I talked to the guys from Best Chance about my troubles with not getting good hook sets. The trouble we had last year was when the fish got half way to the boat they got off. He thought most likely our trouble was our releases and, said we should go with the Blacks Release. Do any of you have an opinion on the Blacks release?

Thanks, Ken.

Ken -

I only run Black’s releases. Never had a problem with them. I run the cable through them with an oversized crimp between the legs to hold them in place. Roughly an inch above the cannonball hardware. I don’t like extra or multiple snaps/swivels/hardware that can fail, come unclipped or get fouled with weeds/fleas.

Don’t use them on a coated cable unless you check out thread “Black’s on a Sub-Tâ€, because they’ll wear through the coating pretty fast. (Thread's back there someplace)

I also use them as a stacker on uncoated cable.

Just remember with all plastic releases, don’t store them in direct sunlight or in high temperature areas for extended periods of time as all plastics will deteriorate.

We have used the Black's releases for the last 5 years after years of using Rubber Bands and the Proos Wally Release. The Black's, or the DuBros release, do an excellent job. You can tighten the releases to whatever you want and it never has failed on us. We are now convinced on the Black's release and it is so easy to set the release quickly or in rough conditions. I believe our percentages have gone up since switching over from the Proos Wally Release. Personally, I would recommend Black's for better initial hook-up ratios!

I ran these for while also, good release overall, only thing I recommend is to check the bend in the release clip fairly often, Mine ended up wearing a groove in it and started chaffing the line. Since then I use either the walker or a rubber band.

p.s. you can also us a rubber band in he blacks release if you wear a groove.

I was wondering how far above the weight you guys are attaching the release. I run 8lb balls and use DuBro releases attached right on top of the ball. Anyone attach them higher with a lead?
Muskybob i use the Big Jon band buster's so mine are just above the ball, i use 12# pancake on all 4 of my riggers, and i really can load the rod depending on what size rubber band i'm using... That's just my $.02