Magda dxt vs magda vs Magda Dx

budwinn42

Looking for a little feedback on the new (dxt) magda vs (old) magda. Gonna get 4 new combos for my riggers, and torn between the all plastic dxt or the older dx with the partially metal housing. I’ve fished the older reels, and never had a problem, but just wondering if the newer reels are an improvement, or if its a step back. Also, for you guys that run them in riggers, do you prefer 20 or 30 series?

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I went with convectors as I was losing gear with the magda's. At least on the divers anyway they didn't seem to have a smooth enough drag when a screamer hit. Should be OK on a rigger but I would run a bit of a loose drag. I have lost far less gear and fish since changing to convectors and having the drag upgraded to dragmasters. IMO in the long run it doesn't cost any more if it saves 1 diver, spinnie, and meat rig.

• Like 1

I am running convectors as well, but the sizing is the same. I don’t think the 20’s would have enough capacity. I think the 30’s will also have larger drag washers and gears, most likely (I have not taken any apart to confirm that). I do have some 20dx’s for walleye fishing and I don’t think I would trust them if I was fishing for kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I run cold waters with upgraded drags everywhere else on the boat. Looking to save a couple bucks on the riggers. Looks like I’ll be going with the 30s, just still can’t decide between the old or the new style.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

I just purchased two of the dxt 30's. It looks like the crank handle is larger and more solid. Also as stated above the anti reverse engages quicker than the dx plus the re-set for the counter has been improved. The button is now on the side of the counter housing which will help keep dirt debris and water out of the counter. The button on the dx or older style is on top and after a few years tends to get stuck in the presses in position when you re-set the counter

• Like 1