Help with dipsys and releases.

Briand7878

I am new to fishing the big lake. I went out today and caught three fish about five pounds each. Question...I bought cannon releases that work by pressure. On the second setting the lure will work its way out on its own. On the third setting none of the three fish tripped the release. Did I just get in that window where my release won't work? What is a good quality release that's reliable? Second I'm about to toss my magnum dipsys. Every time I attempted to use one it tangles around my rigger. I run the dipsy on 2.5 to the left and it still gets in to my rigger. I place the dipsy out first like I believe you are supposed to do. The only thing I can figure is that it's my poor driving, weaving like a drunk that's doing it. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I use Blacks releases.  Used pinch release for about 3 trips back when I started and gave up on them quick.  I haven't had a single problem problem with them.

With regards to divers, you're doing something wrong.  Not sure what though.  Ask someone who looks friendly at the boat launch about your setup.  Poor driving will tangle divers quickly though.

Nice job getting into a few fish!

Ok I will try those releases. It's hard to drive a small boat and rig stuff on your own. I need to bring a helper with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

That's probably your problem, if you don't have autopilot having someone on the wheel at all times is a must. Before buying a bigger boat we used to fish 9 lines off a 16' Tin Can with a 5' beam no problem, just gotta keep it straight and gentle on the turns until you get a better sense for how sharply you can turn without tangling. Happy to help if you post pictures of your rig like JD stated.

1 hour ago, budwinn42 said:

Are you putting your dipsy on 2.5 to the left off of starboard, or port?

That was my thought, if you're setting dipsey to left it should be running on port side.  Otherwise it may not be your dipsey.  Heavier rigger weights to reduce blowback may help and pancake weights will catch more of a crosscurrent than cannonballs or torpedoes.

• Like 1

That was my thought, if you're setting dipsey to left it should be running on port side.  Otherwise it may not be your dipsey.  Heavier rigger weights to reduce blowback may help and pancake weights will catch more of a crosscurrent than cannonballs or torpedoes.

They were set at 2.5 left on the port side of the boat. I would post a picture but I took the boat apart already. I live in central Indiana and it's primarily my bass boat. It's a ranger vs 1780 with triple trees off the side and riggers directly behind them. The riggers are penn fathom master 625s.

On your mag divers, it helps to keep steady pressure on them when deploying them.  If you let line out quickly with no pressure, they will drop right back into your rigger cables due to their extra weight.  When I deploy them, I just back off the drag some and let it slowly pull out line under drag pressure. This keeps the diver digging and pulling away from the boat instead of sinking and dropping straight back.   I usually have a crew member watch the counter and I go set another rod.  Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 dipseys all deploying like this at the same time. It is less of an issue with regular divers but if running 4 divers, I deploy all under pressure.

Are you running the divers off of the triple tree?  If the angle is too high on the diver rod you'll have trouble getting separation.  Diver rod holders are usually best just above horizontal.

No I placed them horizontal and put the dipsys out first before the riggers. I did let them out under the pressure with drag. I'm sure it was probably due to not having a driver while deploying the dipsys. The currents were pretty strong and turned me all over the place.

Next time maybe start dead center in the back of the boat, and as you let it out, watch to make sure it's going the right way. A friend of mine was certain he was setting his dipsys correct and the first time I "checked his work" he had them adjusted incorrectly, and was setting the wrong one off the wrong side.