Anywhere from south haven to Muskegon

Anyone getting on any decent numbers? Taking my dad, and grandpa out this weekend, and this may be our last trip with the 3 of us, so I'd like it to be a memorable one. Not afraid to get off shore 15 miles if that's where the fish are, just hoping for some guidance from you guys that are able to get out a little more. Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Had our Port Sheldon league night on tuesday, 3 boats out to 160 and everywhere in between----0.  Fish at 130 - 140 and some bait as well, had some lookers but no takers.  I was getting 55 degrees almost all the way to the bottom.  Who knows, maybe they shut off to a degree during hurricane season, water temps just aren't right for it to be fast and furious------all good things come to an end, doesn't grouse season open this weekend?

2 matures in the mudline just outside the pierheads in holland this AM.  Ran plugs from an hour before sunset til 9am anf got no takers - turned out they wanted SpinDocters instead b/c switched to those and took one on each of our last two passes - dark males

• Like 3

2 matures in the mudline just outside the pierheads in holland this AM.  Ran plugs from an hour before sunset til 9am anf got no takers - turned out they wanted SpinDocters instead b/c switched to those and took one on each of our last two passes - dark males

An hour before sunset or sunrise? We'll probably only fish for 4-5 hrs, but thank you for the tip. What were you running behind your spin doctors? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

sorry meant SUNRISE - trolled from 6am-9am with nothing happening and then right before we were gonna head in tried flashers and boom they were there.  they were there all morning jumping all over just couldn't get em to bite until last 30min.

• Like 1

we have luck running SpinDocters behind 5 colors and also off dipseys with the rings off em dialed to 3.5 with about 40 feet of braid out when trolling Holland's mouth - it was the dipseys that went this AM - last week got em deep in the channel on this same setup and in prior years even get em as far in macatawa as in front of Parkside Marina on the flashers.  Nothing like seeing a big king go airborn with a dipsey and flasher attached :)

• Like 2

Haha I've never seen a dipsy come out of the water. Hopefully when we go we'll have the freedom to run the midline, and channel if we need to. I'd imagine there's less boating activity since we're past Labor Day, but with the weather being as nice as it is, I'm sure there'll be enough traffic to keep me from running as many lines as I'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

good luck and let us know how you do on your outing - I am not sure what the wind will do this weekend but yes boat traffic is less especially with fisherman but holland still has so many sailboats - hopefully it will be calm enough where you can just make passes back and forth through the mud in front of the pierheads in that 22-35fow - trolling the channel itself is a hail mary suckers bet with boat traffic and all the weeds - today was especially bad with weeds with the east wind and go figure our hits came just outside the pierheads

20170913_093701.jpg

Kevin, maybe I am not running my plugs deep enough.  I normally only put the rigger down 9 or 10 feet but have em 80-100 feet behind the ball.  I have gotten jacksquat on plugs this year and maybe I am simply too high up.  Question: how far behind the ball do you run yours and are you normally size 4 or 5 or do you run smaller ones? Thanks, Ryan

When I run plugs on my riggers in the channel, my leads are short - 20' at the most and atleast 1/2 to 3/4's of the way down the water column. The bigger plugs #5 have always done better for me for combat fishing and have had better luck with Silver Horde - green and blue splatterback glows have always produced for me. 

.................Fish Tank 

• Like 1

2MD I am in love with your 4 stroke Yamaha in the picture!!! Nice set up!! A lot of grass is out there for sure! Anyway I will be out there with my old 1986 17 Boston Whaler with a "smoky" 2 Stroke Yamaha! Hope to see everybody out there and really enjoy your guys tips and reports! Very fun forum to go to see what is working and what is not! St Joe guy is a hard core guy he is out there for hours!