New guy out of St. Joe Monday

First off I'm new here and taking my first trip to the big lake Monday. I've fished it before but not on my own. Where should I start out (depth direction from harbor) I have the boat and gear to do whatever just need a little help from the pros. I don't care what I catch and would consider one fish this rookies victory. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 1

We fished out of St Joe yesterday, we started in front of the pier heads with nothing to talk about, went due west out to 75fow trolled out to 135fow with nothing, came back in and ran the pier heads again with nothing.
We trolled 6 rods, 2 full cores, 2 dipsey, 2 down riggers with sliders, we even had a tin can on bottom with a green spinner, then switched it with green fly, we had a meat rig out, and we had J plugs also, it is really slow out there now

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

Perfect thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

Sorry for the late reply. We fished for a few hours Saturday evening and managed to get 1 small Laker and then on Sunday we fished from 7 a.m. until 2. We started at 100fow n went to 160 and turned back in until around 110fow then we pulled lines and headed in and even trolled through the harbor. We didn't even get a hit all day. That's my first skunk in 4 years.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Sorry to hear.

I'm going to go back out in the morning where do you guys think I should start depth wise? I didn't see many fish at 120 and none in the 80 range. Hopefully the waves will settle down. Is there actually a good reliable wave forecast ?

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
  • Like 1

That's the best wave forecast I have found. The only thing to watch out for is none of the forecast or buoys detect or show roller size. I don't think there's really a good place to start right now, but the farther north you go the better. Run 1 downrigger as close to bottom as you can. I run a tin can Dodger with fireflies Jaws Revenge, but nobody around here has that. It's basically a large Spin and glow with a skirt

• Like 1