9/3/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

9/3/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

I decided to add one more fishing report at the request of one of my clients today who had been reading my reports and was looking forward to seeing his report after their charter.  This young man (in the photo) was not only an awesome fisherman, but he also helped me with the rods in the back of the boat all day too demonstrating some pretty impressive qualities for someone of any age.  Our day started out very chilly with a stiff, westerly wind that was nearly twice as stiff as predicted by the marine forecast.  Instead of the predicted one foot waves we had three footers for much of the day until the wind finally let up after noon.  The bite started off fairly decent, but it was a light bite and we probably lost half our fish today as a result.  The wind was fickle too, switching back and forth some and every time the wind shifted, the bite would slow down for a while.  My clients from Brighton, MI and Cadillac, MI kept at it though and close to the end of the eight hour charter, they put the final fish in the box hitting their limits of eight walleyes per person.  We caught fish of many different sizes today with the biggest walleyes being about 23 inches.  We also caught some nice catfish too.  We fished 5 to 6 miles from the Au Gres River mouth in waters ranging from 13 to 24 feet deep covering different water on every trolling pass looking for a hot spot with bigger fish.  The walleyes seemed to be scattered all over though.  The water there was pretty grungy from all the wind this week, but at least there were few floating weeds around, which has been a problem on other occasions.  We pulled spinner/crawler rigs on or near bottom all day with speeds from 1.4 to 1.8 mph taking the fish.  Color did not mater as natural colors and bright fluorescents all took about equal numbers of fish.  The fishing this week has been very good for late season with all of my recent charters that were completed limiting out and the fishing is fairly close to port too, which is nice.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_0027.JPG