8/30/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

8/30/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

We had a foggy start to our day today with visibility so tight, that I elected to try right out in front of the Au Gres River until the fog lifted some since a longer run would have taken forever at the slow speeds that safety dictated.  Unfortunately, close in, out front, we only caught one small walleye, one catfish and one sheephead in about an hour of fishing before the fog began to lift, and we were able to pul lines and head south.  It was dead calm with a major bug hatch occurring, so we were limited there on spots to fish, but my clients from Toccoa, GA and Boon, MI boxed 24 walleyes along with a bunch of perch, catfish and sheephead, some of which also found their way into the cooler to further expand the big pile of walleyes on ice.  It was a very light bite all day with a lot of fish lost, perhaps even more than were caught.  We trolled a mixture of different crawler harness patterns about 3 feet off bottom chugging along at 1.6 to 1.9 mph.  This will be my last fishing report of the year as my season ends next week and I will be busy baiting bears and getting ready for the upcoming bear season, which I'm really looking forward to.  I also just got an order in from McKenzie Taxidermy Supply, and need to get some fish mounted up before the fall hunting seasons arrive.  All in all, it has been a very productive 2017 charter fishing season for me.  We had a lot of weather cancellations, especially during the spring, but when the weather was decent, we did catch tons of walleyes indeed.  In fact, the fishing this year was outstanding and with strong year classes of young walleyes in the Bay this year, next year should be off-the-charts awesome.  I can't wait.

Capt. Mike Veine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again for the update Mike.

I didn't get out this year as much as I would like to, as always, but agree that it was and still is a fantastic fishery again this year!  Hoping the perch are decent as well.

Best of luck on the bruins, and we'll be looking for you in the pages of Woods-n-Water.

• Thanks 1