Pentwater 8/29 AM 1 for 3

Pentwater 8/29 AM 1 for 3

Marked bait and nice arches in 60 - 80 fow.  Fished them for about an hour and 15 minutes with no bites so we pulled lines and ran deep.  I didn't really think we'd get them to hit, but when the graph lights up it's hard not to at least try.  

We started setting lines in 180 fow, NW of the pier heads.  Had a fat coho on a green moonshine flounder pounder down 60 on a rigger in 184 fow.  You'd think that fish was trying out for the US gymnastics team.  Lots of jumps, flips and twists.  Even after he threw the hook he kept jumping and twisting and flipping over and over.  I think he was just trying to rub it in.  Nice fat fish though.  It looked very thick.  

Boated a small coho on the same setup in 239 fow (West troll).  Lost the final fish on a green paddle and meat rig on an E troll in 220 fow.

I heard of two other boats that didn't get a single hit.  One other boat got 1 coho.  

I'm wondering if the cold nights these last few weeks has pushed the kings up river sooner than normal.  Last year at this time we were still catching nice kings.  I've landed 1 king in the last 10 days (5 trips).  The rest of the fish were steelhead, coho and one skunk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A decent run went up the PM the first week of August, we hit 9 kings on a blow day in PM Lake on August 5th.  At the time, I thought we got lucky timing a small early run that happens every year but based on fishing since then, I now think that was the major push. There was cold water on the beaches, ton of marks in the lake and a lot of boats and jiggers were hitting fish. I kayaked the PM last weekend from Bowman to Sulak with the family and we saw kings everywhere. Fishing was dismal in Ludington today from some friends I spoke with. Some great captains had poor catches. Can't say it is lake wide but I think the peak between the Sable Points is behind us. Bummer with Labor Day coming, it is usually real good there but I'm adjusting my expectations downward.  Your reports from Pentwater didn't help. ?