8/29/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

8/29/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

After a stormy day yesterday causing a cancellation, my clients from Scotts, MI and Toledo, OH joined me today with a forecast that was a bit iffy, but actually turned out to be a very nice day all around.  The first spot we tried this morning had some fish there, and we caught some right away, but the bite was very light and for the amount of marks on the screen, the fish were pretty tight lipped.  There was some wind before sunup, but when we started fishing, the wind had died down to near calm conditions and then it got even calmer as the morning wore on.  Walleye prefer a chop on the water, so those conditions were not great, but we were still picking away at them.  After a while I decided to pull lines and try another spot and there too we marked a ton of fish, but the bite was a slow pick for the rest of the morning there too.  About noon though, the fish there turned as they finally got used to the calm conditions and the feeding began.  From noon to 1:00 my clients had non-stop action and managed their 32 walleye limit and also took some bonus northern pike and catfish too, which I filleted out for them to boneless perfection.  When the bite was slow, red-silver harnesses were the only thing the walleyes would bite.  As the bite turned on though color did not make any difference. I tried to target suspended fish today, but never got one bite very far up off bottom.  The best setup was putting the crawler about 3-5 feet off bottom to try to keep the white perch from steeling crawlers, which still showing those active bottom walleyes the lures and entice them up to grab on.  Speeds of 1.5 to 1.8 mph caught our fish.  There were a fair amount of floating and suspended weeds in both spots we fished today, which required cleaning lines periodically, but it was not nearly as bad as what we had over the weekend.  

Capt. Mike Veine

• Like 1