Pentwater 8/26 AM & PM

Pentwater 8/26 AM & PM

Worked shallow water early on Saturday and marked a lot of fish in the 40 - 75 fow range.  No takers so we started out deep.  The graph was empty until 170 fow.  Ended the morning 3 for 3.  

1) 5# coho SE troll, 140 fow, 2.7 @ ball, 150 Cu + Pb, double orange crush
2) 12# king, SW troll, 190 fow, 2.5 @ ball, 200 Cu + Pb, Ace Hi green glow plug
3)  5# steelhead, E troll, 223 fow, 2.0 @ ball, White Paddle & fly down 60 on a rigger

For the evening trip, we marked a lot of bait in 85 - 100 fow, and bigger fish in 100 - 150.  Finished the night 0 for 0.  We were marking a decent amount of fish, just couldn't get anything to fire.  Second skunk of the year.  Stopped by the fish cleaning station around 10 PM and there were only two groups cleaning fish, and each had a single fish.  Very, very slow for this time of year.

• Like 3

We used to wail on out of temp matures in 30-40' in front of Holland when there were more kings.   You had to have your stuff in the bottom five feet, you had about a twenty minute window to hook them at dark, and some days your graph would look like demo mode and nothing would hit.

I recall a perch trip with my nephew and dad in law where we hooked up all four rods out and squashed the one poor perch in the cooler.  As it got dark we watched these long lines swim across the graph so quickly threw out the salmon gear.

I usually launch at Charlie's Marina.  There are two public launch sites, but I haven't used them.  One is on the south end of the lake, but I think that is for much smaller boats and there is very limited parking.  The other public launch spot is right near Charlies.  The public launch is cheaper.  Charlie's is $10 - $20 depending on the size of your boat.  I use Charlie's because I don't want to wait for other boats at the public marina and I'll often grab an open slip from them for an extended weekend of fishing.   The whole lake is not no wake.  From Charlie's to the channel it is though.  Yes, the cleaning station is public.  

Thanks for the tips.  We'll have to try that next time out.  We didn't venture into the shallow water near dark because the wind had pushed the warm water in and it was much warmer than it was during the morning, so we didn't think they would be in there.

Thank you for the info.  I've looked at the launch on the south side and used the public one on the north side once, in April, and the water was so low I had to push the 14' out in waders.  That was a couple years ago when the water was very low all around.

Typically this time of year for the heavies we find where the thermocline hits the bottom, go 10' deeper, and just pound that bottom 10' of water.  Doesn't always work, but it can be very good especially early and late.

• Thanks 1