Port Sheldon 8-25 p.m.

Set up in 175 n.w. of pier at 6:00. Trolled South East into 110 had something nice on wire diver down 70ish but bent hook on big weenie meat rig. Trolled into 90 with nothing to show for it and pulled lines at 8:30

Lots of boats South in 110- 130 sounded like g.h. was the place to be on the radio. I'll be out again tomorrow with new hooks trying again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 3

Only got one look at the fish but I would bet it was over 25 lbs. I guess tomorrow I will be tying up a few new meat head leaders. I'm glad but also sad to hear it is not just me having problems with the big weenie hooks.

I would rather pay an extra .50 to 1.00 for a rig with quality hooks than loose the biggest fish of the season so far. Grrrrr. Oh well. Beats mowing the yard.

Never bent a hook on a fish out there...and I run a lot of BW meat rigs...is this a drag issue? Dial that drag a little? 

I think BW just went to different hooks btw...I bought one yesterday that had a bigger beefier hook on it...so the newer ones may have upgrades hooks now.

Never bent a hook on a fish out there...and I run a lot of BW meat rigs...is this a drag issue? Dial that drag a little? 

I think BW just went to different hooks btw...I bought one yesterday that had a bigger beefier hook on it...so the newer ones may have upgrades hooks now.

Don't think it was too much drag. Played the fish from 220 feet out right up to 25 ish when it came off. Drag is set just enough to hold dipsy from leaking back. It made a big run when it saw the boat and the hook just bent out about 45 degrees. I think I'm gonna switch to a double octopus rig. They work great on my flies.