Holland AM, 8-16-17

Fished 168-196 fow south of harbor, 3 coho, 1 steelhead, 1 king and 1 laketrout. Brad joined me. Great time, the fish tappered off around 10:30 for us.

What worked:

Port DR with no-se-um fly and white crush 8" SD, down 135 in 192 fow, 2.6 sog, SW troll picked off laketrout  (16.86# male) and in 196 fow a coho (2.97#).

Port DR slider CFO-S salmon buster in 168 fow, W troll ( 5.33# coho).

STBD DR with slider Alewife super ulta UV salmon buster,  2.5 sog, E troll in 180 fow (7.36# king).

Wire diver back 250 with HPR Laser salmon buster, 2.7 sog, W troll in 175 fow (5.31# coho).

270 cu with HC-S salmon buster, 2.3 sog, SW troll in 175 fow (4.65# steelhead )

2017-08-16 15.56.07.jpg

• Like 6

What temps are you getting  at your ball? How does the temps. on the ball match to the temps. on the port Sheldon buoy. I had 71 degrees at 75 ft. down had to go to 90 down to get into the high 50's. Buoy says low 60"s at 68.6 ft

9 hours ago, biglake said:

What temps are you getting  at your ball? How does the temps. on the ball match to the temps. on the port Sheldon buoy. I had 71 degrees at 75 ft. down had to go to 90 down to get into the high 50's. Buoy says low 60"s at 68.6 ft

My ball temps varied with my location,  depth and current. Last time out there was a 50 temp that ran from 84-95 feet down, but I was more off holland than PS. I use PS  bouy as a guide only, but in general they are close. Current was a big factor in my ball temp this last time. It only took a few feet difference to get substantial changes in reading. I'll check near the bouy when I'm nearby there next time. If you have a Fishawk TD you can tie it to a weight on a fishing pole and drop it down to the bottom and get temp and depth every 5ft no matter where your at. Their good to 300ft.

Great report, Ed. I need to get a Fishhawk next year. I did good early morning running 1.9-2.1 SOG on a SW troll in 160 but as soon as the sun came up I struggled. I see based on your data that I should have been going a lot faster. I tried speeding up a couple times but was running a J-plug most of the morning so I didn't want to go too fast. Not knowing exactly where the temp breaks were, and not marking a lot of fish, I thought I had over-shot them. I ran in to 130 and was getting good marks but couldn't get much going.

Scott

• Like 2