8/14/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

8/14/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

The walleye fishing has been good this week for sure.  After a good catch on yesterday's charter, I decided to try another spot today where some bigger fish were taken yesterday by some friends.  We ran out this morning in waves that were over three times higher than predicted and had some light showers pass by us, but we stayed dry, none-the-less.  We even spotted a water spout on the east side of the Bay this morning.  The walleyes seemed to l the bigger waves though as the action was pretty steady all morning, but when the wind died down, the bite slowed up considerably.  When the bite slowed down, I decided to try some new Moonshine spinner/crawler rigs I got the last time I was in the U.P. and they did put several fish in the box including one of our biggest fish of the day.  Those Moonshine spinner blades have the super glow paint found on their spoons.  The best pattern today was a fire tiger blade with green beads.  The hooks on those rigs held the fish well as we did not loose any of the ones hooked on them, and the bite was very light today, so that was impressive.  My clients from Sage Lake, MI caught their limits today composed of fish of all sizes.  We trolled in deeper water not too far from Au Gres and all the fish today were hugging the bottom pretty closely.  We pulled bottom bouncers right on the lake bed at 1.4 to 1.5 mph going with the waves, so my setbacks were quite long.  All in all it was another great day on the Bay and this great fishing will likely continue until the end of summer with the cool waters we have.  

Capt. Mike Veine   

• Thanks 1