where to start after a big storm?

where to start after a big storm?

So here is the forecast for Pentwater on Friday night:

Friday Night
Northwest gales to 35 knots decreasing to 30 knots after midnight. Partly cloudy. Isolated waterspouts in the evening. Scattered showers in the evening, then a slight chance of showers overnight. Waves 7 to 10 feet.

So obviously I'm not fishing Friday night.  Or Saturday morning.  But after a big storm like this, what is the best strategy for finding fish?  Is it just get out there and search and talk to other captains?  Do you look at current maps?  Or temp maps?

With a NW wind the warm water is going to stack up near shore.  I haven't ever fished Pentwater before but I would be wanting to look for stable water - so deep.  I would probably start fishing in 100 fow near the bottom, but look for the cold water.  With 6 lines I would probably run 1 rigger & 1 diver down deep, 1 diver or rigger just around 55-60 degree water & then figure out 3 boards to get 1 a bit above the 55-60 degree water, 1 in the 55-60 degree water and then 1 just below the 55-60 degree water.

Also, would run mostly spoons & plugs and trying to cover ground at 3-3.5 mph.  Slowing down occasionally for a few minutes to try and trigger a bite.

• Thanks 1

Fishing after storms is always tough. Any heavy wind with N in it though is going to cool down the water, especially up north because of the shelf. Watch the buoy temperatures and see what they do and then check the water temp in clean water around the pier heads before heading offshore, especially this time of year, the kings could very well be at the piers heads. They were catching fish in PM lake the last couple days without cold water in tight even. If in tight is dead, JD outlines a good plan for running out deep. Or just go pound for trout

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

• Thanks 1

Not sure what this storm on Friday is going to do to the fishing/water temp. The wind is supposed to be shifting directions throughout the day tomorrow. I'm fishing in the Big Red and Its looking like there will be about 80 boats heading out Saturady all wondering the same thing.

To clarify my temperature thoughts - if it's a NW or NNW the water might cool down.  If it ends up being a W or WNW maybe not.  I'm hoping to be out fishing in Holland on Sunday and will be checking the buoy for cold water.

• Like 1

Just checked the buoys and the wind appears to have done different things in different places.  In Ludington/Pentwater the lake flipped and the cold water is in close.  Fish will probably be in front of the piers.  In Holland it pushed the warm water in and the fish will likely be out 5+ miles...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I generally wait 3 days after a big blow and then follow the buoy strings.  if all else fails, I'll power out to 115 and go w/ heavy CU's, deep DR's and super slide divers on braid/wire.  I'm already planning on Wed even if I can't find a crew.:P

Martin