8/2/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

8/2/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

We had a somewhat iffy forecast today with storms predicted for the afternoon, so my plan was to run out to my best spot and fish until about 11:00 at the latest and then head back in closer to port and fish another spot if we hadn't limited out by then.  Well, my clients from Melvin, MI made it happen fast this morning with non-stop action from the time I set lines until their limits hit the bottom of the cooler.  We had good success on everything we trolled today including Hot N' Tots on the outside boards and a spread of spinner/crawler rigs towed behind bottom bouncers on the rest of the lines.   We caught some nice sized fish today with plenty of walleyes over 20 inches and one Master Angler qualifying (21 inches) smallmouth bass that put on an aerial show that was quite impressive.  We trolled at 1.8 to 2.0 mph going with the surging waves that were in the 1-3 foot range all morning.  Lure color did not mater much.  My Hot N' Tots were chrome/green, 1/4 oz. models trolled close to bottom with a rubber core sinker 5' in front of the lure.  My spinners were an assortment of colors with everything in the water going about equally.  I was using 3 oz. bottom bouncers.  This is some red-hot fishing right now for sure. 

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_0021-001.JPG