Holland - 7/31 PM

To start it was a nice night on the water.  Took out a grandpa, dad and three kids (13, 11, 8) for their first salmon trip.  Was their first time out on the lake in a boat and they were excited about everything from the boat launch to the channel to getting splashed on the run out.  It was a lot of fun to get them out there.

Set lines in 100 just north of the pier at 7:00 pm.  Started out with all spoons.  300 copper, 250 copper, 10 color, 7 color, three dispy divers and two on the riggers.  Headed out to 150, back into 80 and out again.  Sounded like everyone was slow last night.

Started switching up baits after about an hour of searching.  At 8:45 I switched the starboard rigger to an 11" paddle (not sure what brand, blue holo on one side and a pearl holo on the other) and a Big Weenie Blue Bubble UV fly.  Set the rigger at 61 down, turned my back for a second and one of the kids starts yelling "FISH!".  Put the 8 year old on the rod with my help.  Fought it for about 2 minutes and it shook loose.  Pulled the bait in, checked the hook, laser sharp.  Strange.  That was at 110 eastbound.

Rest of the night was like this...

• 9:10 - Same rig, 61 ft down, 108 ft of water westbound troll.  Had the fish on for about 2 minutes again, took a couple really nice runs, off.  Checked hook again, still sharp, no flaws, what the heck?!?!  That was the bait that took two fish so I put it back down.  FYI, I picked the speed up for about 30 seconds and this one hit.
  • 9:25 - Same rig, 61 ft down, 111 ft of water, eastbound troll.  Had this fish on for about 4 minutes, again took a couple really nice runs, off.  
  • Down speed was 2.0 - 2.3 all night.

So that was the lucky pole, bait and depth for the night, but I could not keep the fish on.  I maybe loose three fish a summer and that was three in one night, on the same rig.  For some reason I have always been fortunate in being able to keep fish hooked.  Outside of knocking them off with the net or a broken line, I just don't loose fish.  Now I can't figure out what to do with this bait.  It was the hot bait for us last night, but clearly could not keep a fish on.  Probably will just replace the fly.  Just wish I could figure out the cause on this one.  If anyone has any wisdom for me I sure would appreciate it!

Fortunately the kids had a good time and there was enough action at the end to keep them interested.  They are eager to go out again so mission accomplished there.

• Like 5