holland 7-30 evening

holland 7-30 evening

1 for 3 tonight off Holland.  The one we did get fought us for 1hr and 27min though and proved to be a beauty. 9 colors out in 105fow trolling south surface speed 2.6 with moonshine mag green jeans.  Nearly spooled us running the orange board out about 800 feet.  Eventually worked it back in and got board off 30min later.  Then for the next hour went back and forth with the beast.  3 times we had all 10 colors of lead back on the reel only to have them run out completely again.  Hooked into this thing north of spyglass in 105fow and when we finally netted it we were off the first slider and in 155fow.  I've caught bigger kings but never one this strong.  Weighed in at 25.3 pounds.  Crazy thing about this fish was the girth... almost triangular it was so wide... thing only measure 36.75 inches.  Anyways, the other 2 rips we had tonight also occured in 105fow.  It seemed like 35-40 down was the happening range since the rigger inmediately fired once we worked back to 105fow.  Half-core went at sunset too but that was short-lived.  

20170730_223833.jpg

• Like 20

Nice job being patient with that fish.  I've made the mistake in the past of cranking on the drag too tight to stop a fish like that.  Usually that resulted in a bent hook and lost fish.  So good job on this brute.  I've heard of a saltwater charter captain who as the line was getting spooled on some massive fish, look line from another pole on board, wrapped it around the pole that was getting spooled and threw the first pole overboard to fight it with the second.  They never got the fish.  They think the first pole got hung up on bottom somewhere as they didn't get that back either.  Now that is an expensive set up to lose!  But nice job having full reels and playing the fish smart.  

It sure is nice having these big fish in the lake.  I hope it continues.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:36 AM, Fake Bait said:

Great fish!

Thanks all of you who chimed in and responded.  Hopefully, we have an actual "run" in Holland/Saug this fall and can get into more of them like this.  Was out of town this spring but heard from many it was the best salmon fishing spring in 15-20 years so maybe things are on the up and up.  Any of you remember the hogs of 2001?  Shoot there were more Master Angler awards that year...  good stuff!