7/30/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

7/30/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

We had a very nice weather day on the Bay today with my clients from Marysville, MI and Lapeer, MI taking home a limit catch of 32 walleyes.  The bite today was a bit slow compared to most trips this month with about 5-6 keeper walleyes being caught per hour.  The fish were scattered in pockets of fish where we would go a while with no fish and then catch several at one time.  We also caught a lot of undersized walleyes today too and two nice northern pike.  A lot of small walleyes bodes well for the future of the Bay's fishery.  We fished a fairly small area today of perhaps a couple square miles staying there because when we talked to friends of mine fishing elsewhere, we were catching a lot more fish than they were.  We caught fish today on spinner/crawler rigs and Hot N' Tots trolled at 1.8 to 1.9 mph close to bottom.  Color did not seem to make any difference today with everything getting hit about the same.  The water temperature was about 72 to 73 degrees where we fished today, which is still pretty cool for late July.  It should start warming up though this week with the predicted stable, warm, sunny, calm weather pattern.  That will likely move the fish to the north some as long as we don't get another cold front blasting us with strong, north or east winds.

Capt. Mike Veine

• 5 months later...
59 minutes ago, Paperboy2 said:

Hello my OLD friend! Hopefully you'll let me come aboard Priority1 this season. Good to see you're still at it. I'm ok..

Hey Paul, This past year was tough weather wise with a lot of Noreasters and rain. I was not 100% either due to bilateral knee replacement in late Nov 2016. The healing process takes a tad longer as we age. I had some other complications through the recovery, mainly bad side effects from meds. I'm doing fine now as it's been 14 months since both knees were replaced. I have a new GP Dr and he is getting a pretty good handle on medical needs. I hope to be on the pond when the water temps start getting into the 60s. Maybe we can put some eyes on ice. TC my younger friend. LOL Give me a call and stop by when you're passing through.