Port Sheldon 7/25 (& 7/18) PM

7/25: All came in roughly 120fow.

All came on DR's, even though I was running 4 long lines of various lengths off boards.

Lake Trout and 1 King came down 100' on big white paddle and greenish colored fly.

1 king came 85 down on mixed veggie spoon.

Smallest king came on slider (~60') on blue and white flounder pounder.

2 Kings were around 7lbs and laker was 11lbs.

This was my 14 year olds attempt to out fish his 10 year old sister from last Tuesday (7/18) at Port Sheldon. She landed our 2 person limit of steelhead(4), lake trout, brown trout & a king. They were mostly long (7 & 11 color) lead cores with spoons. She did a LOT of cranking. She also had to learn to 'pump' the pole to get the laker to come in.

IMG_3978.jpgIMG_3883.jpgIMG_3890.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One of the things that works well for the kids on my boat, especially with the larger fish, is not to pump, but rather just walk backwards a few steps, then reel as they walk forwards towards the fish.  This won't work for all boats, but if you have room, it's a great solution for kids.  It keeps the rod in a nice position which is sometimes difficult for the kids when pumping.

Nice catch and way to get the kiddos involved!  You've got your own little tournament going on there.

• Like 1

One of the things that works well for the kids on my boat, especially with the larger fish, is not to pump, but rather just walk backwards a few steps, then reel as they walk forwards towards the fish.  This won't work for all boats, but if you have room, it's a great solution for kids.  It keeps the rod in a nice position which is sometimes difficult for the kids when pumping.
Nice catch and way to get the kiddos involved!  You've got your own little tournament going on there.

That's funny because I've used the walk backward method myself when reeling in 20+ pounder, fishing solo. Dual purpose to save my arms & allow me to correct boat direction when I get to the wheel. I'll suggest this when she gets a big one on next time. Thanks.
  • Like 2

Nicely done.  FYI limit on Steel is 3

Agree on the FYI, "5 total in any combination; no more than 3 of any one species, except up to 5 coho, Chinook, or pink salmon allowed." -DNR regulations handbook

We had to head in early because I thought we were at our limit.
As I read this, I have a question though: can a single person catch 3 steel and 2 lake trout? I had always thought it was 3 total non salmon, but the way this reads it seems 3&2 is ok?

There seems to be some confusion on that because in inland waters and streams that is how the regs read.  On Lake Mi you can keep up to 5 per person in any combo no more than 3 of any one species except king,coho,pink.  You can keep 3 lake trout in MM6-8 which is basically Arcadia south to Indiana.  2 per person North of there.  So yes you can keep 5 trout