Today was the day of lost fish. Started off at 5am in 90fow where there were a TON of marks. Worked this area for a hour without even a release. Moved out to 170 where the action began. We probably took between 10-15 hits and could only land a couple smallish lakers and a cookie cutter king. 80% of the hits we missed were on my brand new wire divers out 250 & 300 with flasher flies (hot). It seems as if every fish was hitting the fly weird. Because the hit would be intense but the fight would only last about 10 seconds and then pop off! It was extremely frustrating. We tried loose and tight drags to no avail. The lakers and kind came on a big paddle down 110. On top of the lost fish the speed they wanted was very weird. We were going about 2.1 SOG to the south to get hits. Much slower than the 2.7ish I normally go. All in all we were on the fish with nothing to show.. also gonna upgrade my drags to Tuna toms carbon fiber ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 3

WOW. So glad you got out and gave it a go. Had several forays like yours over the years, and picked up a few tips from working and retired charter captains that helped me to solve the issues you had:

1. Sharpen the hooks every time.Hooks from the factory appear sharp, but the tips under a microscope look round, not sharp. Sharpen the hooks on every lure, every time. I know that seems obvious, but you'll be surprised at the difference.

2. Add bungees to your dipsy's (weather you like it or not). The bungee will do something that no one talks about: it allows the salmon to inhale the lure deeper when it sucks in the lure cuz the bungee gives and the hooks go deeper into the mouth. The other reasons are obvious.

3. Rubber band on the blacks release like I showed you. If you use a clip, just clip the band to the clip.  That rubber band will set that hook before that fish knows what's happened. The action is just like a bungee, of course.

4. Your Cu's shouldn't be having any issues because they give as a fish takes them and the line works like a bungee.  Even more reason to have sharp hooks.

5. Don't take the rod out of the rod holder when the fish hits.  Let all of the above work for you. Reel in the fish for the first ten seconds until the rod bends over with purpose and you know the fish is on, especially with sliders. So many guys grab that rod when they see a hit, and rip it out of the rod holder which gives just the little bit of slack the fish needs to get off. Sounds simple, but it makes a big diff.

Some of this is so obvious, my post looks stupid I admit. Just passing on ways I learned from some real smart fisherman to solve the fish harvest dilemma.

Tight lines and safe returns to port!

• Like 3