7/10/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

7/10/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

After a blow day yesterday, we headed out today with iffy weather conditions.  A storm system passed by just to the south of us early in the morning just before we hit the water.  Another system was predicted to pass to the south of Bay City later in the morning, but as we were fishing, a check of radar showed that it likely would hit the area where we were fishing on the Bay.  It's a good thing that the fish were biting like crazy this morning though as my clients from Wayland and Battle Creek caught their limits of walleyes well before the storm hit, so we never did get wet.  We had non-stop action from the time we set lines until the cooler was maxed out.  We only made one trolling pass through the same area where we fished two days ago and it was obviously still full of fish.  Early on in the fishing we hooked a giant catfish that took out a bunch of line on a planer board.  Since the cat was well out of the way of the fishing action, and I didn't want to waste time fighting a fish we were not going to keep, we just ignored that fish and continued to focus on the super hot walleye action.  An hour later, with limits in hand, we finally pulled in that catfish that had been dragging along some 100 yards behind the boat.  The channel catfish weighted about 12 pounds and thankfully was pretty tired out by the time we hauled him in.  I did run one Hot N' Tot today of my starboard, outside planer board and it did take a few walleyes, but the spinner/crawler harnesses seemed to get whacked better.  Basically, if a harness did not get hooked up with a fish within a couple minutes, then the night crawler had likely been stolen.  Color did not mater today at all since everything in the water was getting hammered.  We had about two foot waves for much of the morning, and we were trolling with the waves at about 1.7 to 1.8 mph.  The wind did kick up a bit when we headed back in, and we hit some three footers on the way back to port.   All in all though it was a fantastic morning of walleye fishing on Saginaw Bay.  

Capt. Mike Veine

• Like 2