flourocarbon leaders

flourocarbon leaders

Just wondering if any body has had made up any flourocarbon leaders for their down rigger rods? If yes what kind of knot did you use ? or do you use small swivel to make the transistion? I currently am using 25 lb big game "solar color" and wanting to be a bit more stealthy but dont want to pony up all the cash  and spool all my reels with flouro thanks Boomer

Fluorocarbon does not have the memory of mono and after being stretched out will not return to original form. You could have 20lb. Test line and it could get stretched out/down to 12lb. Or less diameter in various places/segments. So like someone above me mentioned retie after so many trips or after so many fish or after a really big one butt hooked. I think using flouro can make a big diff.

Good  point Babe , after all the stealth is negated if after getting fish to strike  the leader breaks , I always check for nicks and abrasions easy enough to change up to fresh leader I keep several different length s prettied on a noodle in boat!?

Thanks for the replys ,after 6 tries finally suceeded in blood knot sucess. Going to  do a  comparison catch rate between the rigger set up with  flouro leader and the other with straight 25lbs bigame solar, switched both leaders on  two copper set ups as well to 25lbs seguar floro

• 6 months later...

I ran floor leaders on my Downrigger rods for three seasons. It worked well. I ran 30lb spider wire stealth, a 30lb Spro swivel, and a 25ft leader of floor in anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs depending on the time of year and the size of the fish in the area.