6/27/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

6/27/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

We had stronger winds that predicted once again today with three foot waves greeting us, which quickly built up a to threes and fours. The strong winds did not deter the fish or my clients though, who happen to hail from my home, stomping grounds of Manistee. We started catching walleye right off the bat and that action never did let up as we limited out on a box of mostly above average sized walleyes in short order. The winds eventually did die down later in the morning and it shifted then from the WSW to the WNW but that did not even slow the bite perceptibly. We fished the same area where we tried to fish yesterday and it was full of fish. Our second trolling pass covered about three miles in one direction and we never stopped catching fish. We also managed to catch five walleyes that were over 24 inches and a bunch over 20". My spread today consisted of eight rods with six off Church Tackle Walleye Boards and two flatlines right off the gunwales. All were rigged with spinner/crawler harnesses trailed behind bottom bouncers. The outside board sets were set to tick right on bottom. The middle board rigs were tracking about five feet off bottom and the inside boards had a setback that tracked the lures about 10 feet off bottom. All rigs in all colors got hit about equally trolled at a speed of 1.4 to 1.7 mph surging with the waves. While I was cleaning fish I was approached by yet another Manistee area angler who had also been fishing out of Au Gres today. It was like a reunion of Manistee people for sure.

Capt. Mike Veine

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the report.

Going to be fishing out of Au Gres for the next week while up with kids on vacation.

Is there a depth or distance from port you can recommend?