Downrigger rod ?

I was reading an article or post awhile back talking about using shorter downrigger rods.I have since then forgot where i was reading this and how to find it again.The guy writing it said he used his short bass rods as downrigger rods with good success.Do any of you use shorter rods on your downriggers?Say 6'-7' ers.What are the advantages of this?

We used to use 7 1/2 footers when we were in college and didn't have the cash for new rods and it wasn't much of an advantage. Fish were pretty difficult to control in tight...but it was pretty freaking hilarious!!!!:lol:

Advantage; great story at the dock and more laughs!

When I was into bass fishing, I use to troll my bass boat in the spring for jacks. Not wanting to put rod holders on my bass boat, I use to sit on the rods to hold them in place. I used my bass fishing rods, crank baits and stick baits.

I use 7 1/2 foot ugly sticks for my riggers, but like Mark said above the fish are hard to control at the boat but what a riot when you have a 15 or 20 pounder on the other end. But Sea Mac you should have no problems with a good 7' or 7 1/2 footer. Hope this helps but not much info. Hope to see you on the water.

Dan Keating uses 6 1/2 footers. Says the longest rod he has is 7 1/2. Also use 12# mono so the fish are played out when they get to the boat. Claims they are easier for his clients to use. I am going to set one up this year and try it. Figure it can't hurt.

Hey thanks alot guys.Last year we lost id bet well over 50% of our fish we hooked on our downriggers.We were using 9'6" heartlands and 8 lb. weights the beginning of the year.Caz advised i switch the weights to 10 or 12 pound (i went with 12) wich did make a improvement imo but we were still losin quite a few just after the initial release from the downrigger, you would see the pole release and bob a lil and a little drag takes off but then no one home.So yesterday i tell my partner im gonna get (2) 7' mh ugly sticks and try them for our downriggers.My reasoning being ugly sticks are little more limber at the tips yet strong at the base.He says hes not real sure about that and doesnt want me to get them, and then tries to razz me saying things like "why not get snoopy poles"... and "have fun trying to catch a 20 pounder". I remind him that last year we used a 7' LITE action ugly stick with 4 color core straight out the back and we caught alot and probably most of our bigger fish on that set up and it was a very fun rod.He was the one that originally bought that pole and set it up to use on l.mich in the first place.So it was kinda hard for me to see his reasonings as to why we should not get them, wich brought me here. I cannot wait to show him the replies ive got thus far.Paulywood your post is probably gonna sink his battleship, and i to am also going try this setup this year.thanks again.-Mike

Mike,

The 12lb. balls are best for getting your cable down straighter and not drag outwards like your 8lb balls did for you. Now if you want more hook ups, you must make sure your hooks are really sharp and maybe tighten your release a little more. But not to tight so you cannot release it your self. If you want good downrigger rods get the 8' heartland like I use. But if you want to use a rod for your SWR rod (two colors) then go with a heartland 8.5' rod. Check this web site out because they have heartlands on sale right now. http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7BC7AD050C%2D1C69%2D11D5%2D9EEC%2D000000000000%7D&i=8BEA9774093044CA963248D009D930FBMan Mike don't you remeber when you was fighting that 40lb. king last year fishing with the CAZZZZ at Muskegon.

Here you are

mike_90548.jpg

Man Mike I got to get to bed it 10 am and I work third shift. You got me all worried now. I forgot one more thing. When a rod gos up man you goota yell FISH ON. Mike this is big lake fishing not bluegills. Every now and then just yell it..FISH ON even if there is no fish on. Get your fishing buddys getting use to jumping out of there seats real fast. If they dont then that fish has a chance to get away. Just ask GLF, man I'd yell it about every 10min. and man would GLF jump out of his seat. But just ask GLF how that trick worked out for us. We didnt hardly lose any fish at all and took third place that day. Well I got to get to bed dude.

Remember yell out........FISH ON,

Caznik :lol:

Everytime ive been on your boat im to busy reeling in 40- 50 pounder fish to notice what kind of gear your using.:grin: Im gonna get 2 ugly sticks and outfit them with 12lb. test and give that a try at least.I see Lion Den has 4 for sale, if i could get 2 from him for 50 bucks that will work. ill prolly be gettin some 8' diawas now to, another trustworthy fisherman was tellin me these are good rods also and maybe at 8' i can find a middle ground with my partner.Far as sharp hooks and release goes most all of my spoons are new and ive switched alot of them to single hooks instead of trebles.Release, last year we used rubber bands with a big jon band buster..this year going to the walker release that you use.

Sea-Mac

What angle are your rods to the water when they are in the holders? IMO if they are to flat(level with the water) when the fish hit there is no tension on the line because the pole is not being bent enough. Any slack in the line and the fish will be gone. I prefer the rods be standing almost straight up down to a 45 degree angle so when it releases the rod takes up the slack and keeps pressure on the fish. Good Luck.

hey steve you might have solved our prob.. ok when im out there i see some people that have thier rigger rods straight up and people that have them almost parallel with the water with the tips jus hitting the water kinda. I been doing the parallel cus it kinda tucks my rods out of the way and thats what i see on most boats. ive had them on 45 degree angles but for the most part i been putting them parallel with the tips jus above the water.

Here is what Mike Gnatkowski uses for his release and swears that it improves hook-ups. I will try to explain it the best I can. Here is what you need:

3 ft. of downrigger cable

2 clinchers or very large snap swivels

attach a clincher or swivel to each end of the cable

attach one end of the cable to your downrigger ball

use the other end to attach your rubber band

use #16 rubber bands wrapped around the line 4 times

He claims that when you load up your rigger rods it will pull that cable up and take all of the belly out of the line. The 3 ft. piece of cable goes up at an angle from the ball to where it attaches to your line. When a fish hits they will first pull the piece of cable down straight and then break the rubber band. This takes out any extra slack that you have. He said that a lot of times they grab the rod before the band breaks because they see the rod move down when the fish initially hits. If this is confusing I could probably explain it better in person at one of the outings. I haven't tried it but might give it a shot this year. Might run it on 1 rigger and run the other plain to see if there is a difference. My personal (read amatuer) opinion is that a flexible rod that you can load up is better than some of those big stiff rigger rods some guys use.

I use the Walker releases and have them tightened down so the fish hook up before they release. Sharp hooks are a MUST. It is also very important to be on the rod instantly. We have also gotten into the habit of Reeling like a mad man even before pulling the rods from the holders. This is even more important with sliders. By reeling first you take up any slack line quickly. If a rigger rod goes on my boat, don't be between me and that rod unless you have it in your hand. LOL:)

I kno exactly what you are talkin about.Ive read his article on game&fish about that.I saw an illustration somwhere to.thanks for bringing that up because i had forgotten all about that lil set -up.

Hey Mike,

What ever you do don't listen to Huntingfool43. He says he uses fishing poles. But what he really uses is 5.5 foot pitch forks.:D Those pitch forks are so stiff that no wonder the fish allways gets hooked up for him. Better watch out for farmer Steves stories. :lol:

Cazzz

• 3 weeks later...

7' light action ugly stick is the way to go for downrigger rod in my opinion. They sit lower in the water and out of the way when chasing fish around the back of the boat with other poles. Especially in a smaller boat. Pleny of strength in the but end to handle the bigger fish also! I have fished drigger rods from 7-10' and like the shortest ones the best. WOuldn't trade my ugly sticks for anything!