SoHa 5-15 and 5-16

Sorry about the late report for Mon/Tues of this week. Was busy. Here it is.......

Fisherman of the East side of Lake Michigan are blessed. You have some interesting bathymetry both near and far offshore, great ports that are visitor/pocketbook friendly, and some diverse opportunities for fisherman who don’t mind working for their fish. I have appreciated all these conditions while getting to know the east side of the lake this spring. Living in Springfield, IL is a huge disadvantage if you like to fish for salmonids and char. But, I’m addicted to chasing these amazing fish. I spent Monday May 15 and Tuesday May 16 on yet another painful “learning” trip just off South Haven (I guess ya’ll call it SoHa). I am grateful and thankful to you East side boys for the tips and tricks that you’ve shared. THANK YOU. I won’t mention any names as they may not want to be associated with me, or don’t want to be known as “giving up” any secrets, But, here’s how it went:

May 15:

Wind: Calm conditions early with SE winds @ 10 Kn subsiding to 2 kn by the afternoon.

Water Temp: 48 deg F at 0645 when we dropped lines at 100 ft depth. FishHawk read 42 deg F at 100 ft depth. Warmed up to 50 deg F but still 42 deg on the bottom when we left in early afternoon.

Program (with three aboard): Two riggers. Two Dipsy’s (slide divers). Four Cu and Pb off 2 big planers (Cu: 200, 300, 100+30 ft Pb, and 50 Cu).

Best speed: 2.5 mph SOG

Best lures [All Michigan Angler (John King) Lexan spoons]:

1.      “Super Gold Bullet” (4.65”) off of 200 ft Cu was the stud of the day taking two of four keeper fish (including the 12# Chinook). Was also hit by two 12” Chinooks that we shook off at the water line (go figure that size ratio) and one 16” Laker hit this lure hard (released).

2.       “Bluefin Bullet” (4.65”) spoon off down rigger 40 ft down (one 7 lb Chinook). This same spoon was also taken down by a massive hit that peeled line off the reel for about 10 seconds before we could stop it. After about 10 minutes of slowly gaining line on this bruiser, the fish broke off. Upon examining the line above the break, we saw that the 20 lb floro mono was shredded in multiple locations by the fishes teeth and gill plates. WOW that was an exciting fish that we never saw! Added another bullet to the rigger and had several more take downs on this rigger that didn’t stick, but left some major gouges on this spoon.

3.      “Crushed Fluor Orange with silver back” (4”) spoon hit by one nice fat keeper coho.

4.      “Alewife SUV” spoon in 4” size off dipsy’s and slide divers with 30 ft of line out (away from slide diver). Six  12” Chinooks attacked this spoon with HARD hits that made you think they were much larger. All were released right at the water line without netting and sped away like rockets. The SUV properties of this spoon are not to be believed until you see it in the water. Had numerous hits on the lure that did not stick.

Interesting note: All eight baby Chinooks had full adipose fins. Laker had no fins clipped.

Best fishing location: 120 ft depth to 130 ft depth directly West of SoHA approximately 6-7 miles out.

Best direction: N to S. 

Best Depth: 40’.

According to my sonar maps, the bathymetry in this area undulates and creates a lot of peaks and  valleys that really changes up the currents and temps. We found this to be true if we read the details of the FishHawk (FH) correctly. Sometimes our speed would read as 2.5 (mph) SOG and the reading on the FH would read as 1.4  (mph) SOG in random areas.

Many would say this is a slow day out of SoHA. I would say that I learned a lot about this part of the lake,  and learned to appreciate the good folks of the area. I also got to fish with my son (who has been away to college and way to busy to fish with me for 9 months). I also met a new fishing buddy that is wise way beyond his youthful years. Can’t wait to cedar-plank cook that fresh Chinook……

May 16:

Wind: Major blow predicted for this AM. Wind was light at the SoHa ramp when we arrived at 0530. Winds continued light and variable out of the SE until we left the lake at noon.

Water Temp: Same as May 15.

Program (with two aboard): Two riggers. Two Dipsy’s (slide divers). Two planer boards with Cu and Pb (Cu: 200, 300, 100+30 ft Pb, and 50 Cu alternated throughout the day).

Best speed: 2.7 mph SOG

Best lures [All Michigan Angler (John King) Lexan spoons]:

1.      “Crushed Fluor Orange with silver back” (4”) spoon hit by two fat Lakers and one chunky coho.

2.       “Bluefin Bullet” (4.65”) spoon off down rigger 40 ft down (one 7 lb coho). This fish fought, acted, and ran like a steelhead. We counted seven aerial’s by the time we got it to the net.

3.      “Alewife SUV” spoon in 4” size off dipsy’s and slide divers with 30 ft of line out (away from slide diver). Two average sized coho. Like the day before, 12” Chinook (three) attacked this spoon with HARD hits that made you think they were much larger. All these small fish were released with care. All these juvenile Chinooks also had adipose fins.

Best fishing location: Same as May 15.

Best direction: N to S.

Best depth: 15’ to 40’

I saw fish boxes at the fish cleaning station that were full of many large Chinook’s. I did not have a heavy box of fish. However, I spent the day fishing again in a great new port with my son (who I have been fishing with since he was five). The wind and waves were kind to us, and we returned to port safely. Thank you SoHa for a great day out on the water. Loved the ice cream at Captain Nemo’s..............

Disclaimer: I am not supported by any company mentioned in this post. I am merely passing on information that has worked by me in order to help others.

Alewife_SUV.JPG

Bluefin_Bullet.JPG

CFO_S_SB.JPG

Super_Gold_Bullet_SB2.JPG

5-16 troll rout at SoHA.JPG

7 lb coho contents 5 alewife.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

Nik chinook of may 15.jpg

soha of 5-15.jpg

• Like 5

Not a bad report and pictures ya Ole Fart.  But I had to laugh when I saw your "track", what, you have a drunken sailor at the helm?  Great report and ya had a lot of fun.  Welcome to the East side of the pond.  Maybe next time.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Martin. Your experienced words are important to a mistake prone old fat guy like me. Since I don't know the area very well, I gotta "fish" around and search for them. The bathymetry helps a lot, and you can see how the fish congregate at very specific locations based on the underwater topo.  On Tuesday, the charters all went out deep as soon as they got past the lighthouse. That's the easy fishing. I was trying to learn the water.

Tight lines and safe returns to port. Hope we can fish together soon.

D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mega Byte said:

Now that is a detailed post. :)  Thanks for the info.  I appreciate the lure pictures.  It helps me get a good idea of what other guys are having success on.

Thanks Mega. I feel It's important to share and learn from each other. I do all I can. I saw some guys at the fish cleaning station that same day and they were so tight lipped and standoffish that you woulda thought I was trying to steal their fish. 

Geez. "Can we all Just get along"?

• Like 1

Yeah I've never used his spoons up until that day with Greek. However my theory (nothing against the spoons) is that because they flutter so easy compared to metal spoons they keep their action in the pretty wicked currents we were seeing. At one point in time we were going 3.2 SOG to get the 2.3 at the ball we were looking for and without a fish hawk you would have never of known. And metal spoons could have been dead in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

• Like 1

I think this may be the first year they went to clipping steelhead and not kings any longer.

I thought you had to run meat and those who stuck with spoons were idiots.  I mean you have to run rapalas to catch browns too, right?

• Like 1

Love running meat, FBD. Problem is getting it. Living here in Springfield, IL is a desert as far as getting bait. The bait companies on the west coast will not ship to non commercial sources any more. Most the bait shops stopped supplying it. I heard that you can net your own out of the harbors sometimes. Failed at that last time I tried.  CopilotTruman advised of a source that I have not yet checked.

Any thoughts on a source for bait, FBD?  Thanx.

Don't run it / sold all my meat gear.  I have caught my own ales but they don't hold up as well as herring.

Having been thrown off Captain King's site I was tongue in cheek joking about how he changes his spots depending on what he sells.  Builds great stuff, I'll say that.  But when I posted about running Michigan made Eppinger spoons for browns off in line planers I was a heretic, but now that he makes spoons you have to run them.  I bet once he starts 3-d printing plugs those will be the only things that catch browns.

Hey "D", great chatting w/ ya.  I get ya up this way so you can catch your own back-up bait when ya can't buy store bought.  A lot of people have seen this post on brining whole Ales for meatheads before so I'll just post the link.

Chat w/ ya latter,

Martin

8 hours ago, FBD said:

Don't run it / sold all my meat gear.  I have caught my own ales but they don't hold up as well as herring.

Having been thrown off Captain King's site I was tongue in cheek joking about how he changes his spots depending on what he sells.  Builds great stuff, I'll say that.  But when I posted about running Michigan made Eppinger spoons for browns off in line planers I was a heretic, but now that he makes spoons you have to run them.  I bet once he starts 3-d printing plugs those will be the only things that catch browns.

It's all good, man. Everybody has an angle. Le's all just go out there and have fun. I appreciate you posts very much. tight lines and safe returns to port.....

6 hours ago, Martin1950 said:

Hey "D", great chatting w/ ya.  I get ya up this way so you can catch your own back-up bait when ya can't buy store bought.  A lot of people have seen this post on brining whole Ales for meatheads before so I'll just post the link.

Chat w/ ya latter,

Martin

Thanks for the info. This is a great recipe with breat back up tips on your end.

Seen this video on Captn John King's site multiple times and tried it.  Works great when I can find the bait.  I have also used the following recipe with great success when I lived on the west coast:  http://salmonuniversity.com/archives/313

C-Dory's are extremely well built boats designed for Pacific Ocean rough waters. They are made in Seattle, WA and have found their way all over the world. My 16 ft "Angler" model has been as far out as 20 miles into the gulf of Mexico and 12 miles out into lake Michigan out on the West side of the lake off of Northpoint near the WI border with IL. I'm not afraid to take OPA out in rough conditions, but I ain't stupid either. I study the carts and predictions ruthlessly before I go out. The most popular model C-Dory is the 22'Angler. More info at:  http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/angler-22/

Good luck with all.

600_453626933.jpeg

opa and nik.png

opa from the back.png

• Like 2