Holland 5-13

So after my skunk in Grand Haven, I doubled down this weekend.  Either stuff got real or I was walking away for the year.  I can't justify the expense of fixing and running the Four Winns this year, so I put all the chips down on the 14' and my fishingist crew member.

Screw you fish.  You may gave gotten my favorite spinny ever, that I will hate to compile how many fish it took, as a consolation prize, but you lost today.

Set up all by ourselves in 47' and didn't turn the tiller until Oval Beach.  We started with a deep hooked 15" king on a flounder pounder down 30, then my best spinny, before it twisted up and broke off, grabbed an 11# king.  Missed another good hit on that.  At least it went down fighting on its last trip.  Two more good kings on the flounder pounder, then a sheep in the plume at Saugatuck.

Did a few laps in the mud and got a pair of fat coho and an 11# king that hit 12' down and 10' back and popped up outside of the two planer boards on that side.  I enjoyed throwing him in the cooler.  Might have said disparaging things about his lineage or unwed parents as he got iced.

Finally for giggles we put her on the beach, mostly as 2.4 mph back to port wasn't much slower than 8.2 WOT throwing up a tug boat wake with a heavy cooler in the bow, and under blue skies at 11 am a board shot back with a vengeance.  8.3# brown added some character to the box.

A 27 minute ride in reminds me how I miss the Four Winns.  Fishing 11 hours on less than 4 gallons of gas over the last two trips didn't.

RIP 10" white spinny and hand tied purple mirage fly.  Thanks for the master angler laker last spring, and the literal 100's of other pounds of fish you provided.  A hell of a run we had.

• Like 6