Kings and depth of presentation.

Kings and depth of presentation.

Over the past few years I have noticed that a majority of my kings hit my lures that are running in about 48 degree water and above. When I try running them in colder water say 42-44 my catch rate on kings goes way down. The reason I ask is that while watching salmon showdow frequently the game plan is to try and run lures within 20 ft of the bottom. Is this a strategy to target bigger kings though you may catch less?

The bigger kings will typically like that cooler water 42 - 48 degrees.  However at dusk and dawn this goes totally out the window as that is when fish are on the feed.  However it does seem as the biomass in Lake Michigan has decreased, or so they say, you will find more fish up "out of temp" at all times of the day.  If you have a program that it working I would stick to it, and just put one or two rods down in the cool water, it may not produce a lot of fish but it may very well be the biggest one of the day.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Oily Duck said:

The reason I ask is that while watching salmon showdow frequently the game plan is to try and run lures within 20 ft of the bottom. Is this a strategy to target bigger kings though you may catch less?

More likely looking for lakers