Lead-free weights and line question

Lead-free weights and line question

Hey guys. Does anyone have a good online source for buying lead free weights? Going to need multiple styles, but most importantly I'm currently looking for 10# (maybe 12#) cast iron downrigger balls with fins. Not having much success finding any yet. I'm also looking for snap weights or regular bell weights in the 1-5oz range (probably nickel or tin, I'd guess) to use on my board rods for more versatility than the 10 color leadcore I used last season.

On that note. Those of you who use snap weights, what's your line setup? As I said, I used 10 colors of leadcore last season on my planer board rods and felt it was very limiting as to how deep you can fish (even with various lures, I can still only get in the 50-75' range). With snap weights, I'll be able to go as light as an ounce or even no weight for 1-10' subsurface Steelhead and White Bass up to 5oz on a slow troll to bounce bottom down to 140' for Lakers. I'm thinking along the lines of 200yds of 50# braid mainline with 200yds of filler 40-50# mono backing should work well, but wanted to get the thoughts of you guys first. I know braid can be an issue with fleas in the summer in general, but I'll mainly be fishing eastern Lake Erie, which doesn't have many of the smaller more annoying fleas, so I should be fine there unless I take a trip to Lake Ontario (which I mainly do in the spring and fall anyway).

Thanks for the help!

-Sean

• 3 weeks later...

I like using the Dive Bombs, they come in different weights and you don't need additional tackle or knots.  You attach them 50 ft. or so from your lure or half way on a full core.   I have quit using full cores and add it to a 5 or 7 core to get the same depth.  Remove them before the fish gets too close to the boat.

https://www.mistinger.com/dive-bombs