Looking for custom cover

Does anyone have a person or company they recommend working with to have a boat cover made? I have a 21' walk around with an arch and want to have something made to fit that is good quality.

I'm in Holland area, so grand rapids area would be most ideal but open to other spots if someone has and strong recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

White Lake Canvas has made several awesome covers for me.  Highly recommend them.

In Holland, Nautical Needle is good and as mentioned Canvas Innovations does good work also.

I suggest talking to a couple of them, they will look at your boat and give you and estimate and design input before starting.  From there you will be able to decide who you think will work well with you.

What-a-Hoot

11 hours ago, Hockey390 said:

What did it set you back and how long were you without the boat?

I wish I could remember. It was a few years ago. I had two previous places lined up to do the work. One never could get it in - kept putting me off and the other said he could do it then backed out because he felt it was beyond what he could do, so I know I would get the price confused. I want to say $1,200. Get a quote if your interested. Seems like I dropped it off and he wanted it for a week. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up getting a cheap cover on eBay that was designed for a boat with a hard top. Paid about $300 for it and it ended up tearing in a wind storm at the end of the year. I am saving up for a barn (shooting for spring 2020) so I opted to go the cheap route again this year and got another of the same cover. This year i reinforced all the contact points that tore last time and also installed a boat vent to help avoid pooling on the bow like i had last year. My hope is it will last me until I build the barn. Probably would have been better getting a $1,500 custom cover, but I'm stubborn.

Good choice. I love my pole barn. I spend a lot of time out there. My wife threatens to move my bed out there. One suggestion. Go big. Mine was originally just a two stall and I had to add on when when I got another toy. Would have been cheaper to build the correct size to begin with.

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

• Like 2

Hockey,

Plan your barn build/size accordingly.  Like Sea Eagle I should have gone bigger and taller on my pole barn when I built it.  Now I have to make due.  Although I have thoughts of adding to the side similar to Sea Eagle.

It cost me almost as much to add a 15X30 extension on as it did to build the original 30X30. It's also more expensive to go with wood and vinyl siding (I wanted to exactly match the house). My neighbor built a 30X45 with metal siding for $10,000 less than my original pole barn not even including the add on. His looks fine. They matched his house color, the siding just goes up and down vs sideways. 

6 minutes ago, John's Tuition said:

@Sea Eagle LOVE the Challenger! Also, very nice Crestliner. I have the same graphics on my Super Hawk.

Thanks. You must be a man of impeccable taste 🙂  You either like the lime green on the Challenger and the Mad Fish Graphics on our boats or not. My wife does not like either. I would think she has no taste, but that can't be true because she married me 😜  How do you like your Super Hawk?

• Haha 1

Ha! Some colors make or break the Challenger and that lime green looks sweet, and I'm usually not a fan of that color at all.  Overall, I'm very happy with my 2013 SuperHawk 1650. If I would have waited one more year to order it I could have gotten one with the SureTrac gunnel system. That would have saved me a lot of headaches with rigging for salmon. The narrow gunnels are a pain but it's the biggest boat I could fit in my garage (I live in a condo so parking outside is not an option) and still have my wife be able to open her car door. Bert's tracks won't fit on the gunnel so I had to get creative in mounting riggers, trees and dipsy holders. Since it is a fish/ski boat at heart I wanted to be able to remove all my rigging if and when we used it for watersports. The 115 efi fs does great for tubing, kneeboarding and skiing (one person) but I switch out my prop with an aggressive pitch stainless when I need a better punch out of the hole (like for wakeboarding). I get a little wet running in chop on Lake Michigan but it does the job on most days. What model is your Crestliner?

John's Tuition- my boat is a 2050 Commander. Too bad about the narrow gunnels. Plenty of room on my Commander to mount everything, but your boat is still a very fishable boat. When I wanted to get something more multi species than my Trophy (shown above) my decision to go with Crestliner was based on many years of fishing on my buddy's 1650 Fish Hawk. We put that boat through the ringer. At least 4 of the great lakes and more inland lakes than you can shake a stick at. Salmon, walleye and almost anything else that swims. PS: Here is the track and down riggers set up on my boat. My buddy's gunnels were narrow, but we were able to squeeze tracks on his fish hawk  

IMG_1785.JPG

• Like 1

Good eye, Tyeell. Yes, it is! I searched all over for something that I could securely mount a rigger on a narrow gunnel boat and still be able to quickly remove as needed. It works like a champ. I only have very light-weight manual riggers on it because I ended up having to use wellnuts in the top bolts that attach to the gunnel. I'm considering upgrading to electric because I think I actually put more stress on the mount by cranking up the ball then an extra 10lbs. of motor weight would. 

Good to know, thanks! If it's holding up to a rigger (even a hand cranker), I should have no problem with my table mount. I've never seen anyone else use the V-lock on a Great Lakes boat but there's a lot of ways to use them.

Sorry for the hijack...I hope Hockey's cover works out for him.

• Like 1