Hello fellow fishermen

I ran into GLF (Mike) at the Ultimate Sport & RV Show in Grand Rapids today and he suggested that I check out greatlakesfsherman.com, so here I am.

I registered with my boat name, Salmon Slammer, which is a classic 1974 SS-235 hard-top Slickcraft slipped on Muskegon Lake at Bluffton Bay Marina. My name is Matt Schalk and I am the President of Slamco, which is a small tackle manufacturing and distributing company based out of Muskegon, and owned and operated by my wife and myself out of our home in Ferndale (near Detroit).

I've been a commercial fly-tyer for the past 20 years and am also the designer of the Slammer Tip-Up and Glopedo Steelhead Jigs.

I have fished the Big Lake since before I was born and also fish the streams, lakes, beaches, and piers primarily in West Michigan. I am also a member of several chapters of the Michigan Steelhead & Salmon Fishermen's Association and other conservation organizations.

If you're fishing out of Muskegon, Grand Haven, or Whitehall, give me a call on the radio. Now that the ice around here is unsafe, let's hope that it goes away quickly - I'm ready to troll!

Nice to meet you at the show. Glad you decided to join. I have been trying to talk Dv8oR into spudding a lane from boat launch on Muskegon Lake to the channel, so I can get the boat out. Unfortunately it has not been going as fast :D

A couple of weeks and the reels will be screaming!

If you need anything, give me a shout.

Mike

A Warm Welcome 2 U Matt. U will like it here. A lot of GR8 info on this site.:)

I fish the Saginaw Bay out of AuGres. I make it over to Manistee 3 or 4 times L8 Summer. I run a 86 Starcraft Islander Hardtop. My avatar looks just like my rig when I yell fish on and I'm into a King.:lol:

Frank

Welcome aboard! This is a nice sitewith friendly folks to corespond with.

I'll have to get you to show me how to use one of the slammers. Tried a few years ago and the only thing that got slammed was me............on a little JD!:D

Nice to meet you at the show. Glad you decided to join. I have been trying to talk Dv8oR into spudding a lane from boat launch on Muskegon Lake to the channel, so I can get the boat out.

Harbor Towne is basically free of ice and it's opening up pretty quickly through the Sand Docks. You may be able to launch sooner than you think. Just gotta watch for the pack ice.

If there wasn't all of the shore ice between the south pier and stub pier, my buddy, Smoked Chub, would probably be launching his 16 footer where the old boat launch used to be.

The east end of Muskegon Lake is open. Another buddy went out of the North Branch on Wednesday but didn't get any hits trolling around. He was trying for 'eyes and steelies. They got fish Monday and Tuesday out there.

It looks like the rivers peaked yesterday and are slowly receding. I'll be up to Hespotuckey on Sunday doin' some jig'n-n-wig'n.

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys.