painting spoon blanks?

painting spoon blanks?

hey everyone, just curious on if i can use spray paint or use paint in the can to paint my cheap nickle plated casting spoon blanks? i got almost 300 of them!. Ive never done this before, But im under the assumption all i need to do is first wipe them with some laquer thinner and a rag to clean them, then paint them with white primer first so the paint can stick, then im not sure if you have to let the primer dry first BEFORE you paint on your colors/patterns of choice? OR do you paint on your colors and patterns of choice while primer is still wet? then lastly once your color/patterns is dry on the spoon you complete it with a few layers of clear coat to seal it, correct?

now i cant afford no air brushing crap, or NO powder paints. im on a budget and will only have spray paint/paint in cans. is acrylic latex paint ok? i found a big jug of acrylic latex glow paint. Im sure if i follow the above steps and clear coat it after the latex paint wont come off when casting?

or should i buy all alkyd paints?

I've tried this with both spoons and Colorado blades and all have chipped.  After I paint the metal spoons and blades, I coat with a clear coat of a 2 part epoxy called envirotex lite.  Again, never had good luck with durablilty.  Powder coat then back on is best.  

Sand with 400 grit sandpaper first. I would try enamel as it chips less. It dries slower. Non spray paint like Rustoleum should hold up better. Their white primer is good. Yes let it dry before painting. Lacquers are nice as they dry quickly but chip. Has anyone tried hobby paints?

Hi James,

I am actually selling about 10 jars of powder paint of different color, some sticky color tape and eye stickers. I used to paint my own salmon spoons and jigs and just don't have time anymore. I can send you some pics and willing to sell cheap just to get it out of my tool room! Send me a PM and I can give you some more info if interested 

I don't know how to pm in this site lol. I'm interested tho. I always thought powder paint wasn't practical for spoons as a small 1 oz jar would paint what...one spoon ? Lol. I have over 100 spoons roughly the size shape and length of a 1/3 oz little Cleo. I would need over 100 of the 1oz jars of powder paint to paint my 100 spoons? That's almost 500$ or more to paint only 100 spoons. That's why I thought of spray paint as a cheap alternative? I'm so new to spoon painting hopefully I'm wrong and hopefully a standard 1oz jar would paint more then one spoon lol

I'm def interested in your offer but I live in Canada and I was told shipping paints over border was prohibited (gotta love lame Canada's CBSA being so paranoid over everything)

Haha ya probably not the best idea to ship stuff of that nature over the boarder. I have it in 2oz jar and it goes a longboard way. I have only done maybe 25 spoons, and my lowest jar is maybe about 50% full. It goes a long way and you could get over 10 spoons per jar I would say. It comes out pretty durable and a pretty easy process once you get the hang of it. 

Ya I was gonna buy a heat gun so I could powder paint. As that way I don't need primer lol. Plus I heard if u powder paint spoons its so durable it won't chip off. 

So ur saying a spoon the size and shape of a 1/3 oz little Cleo you could do maybe ten on a 2 oz jar? I was trying to  picture a jar that small and I thought to myself good god 2 oz is like a pinch of salt lol...I know its probably a lot more lol I'm just a rookie lol. I can get powder paint from a supplier in Canada here. 

If I want to do spoons solid color say blaze orange or hot pink etc do I still need to powder paint them white first (they are your every day nickel blanks from lurepartsonline) or can I just powder paint them my color instantly? 

I also heard if I buy the glow powder paints its best to powder paint them white first let dry and cure thennn powder paint them glow color

I'm a rookie at this lol but seems easy cuz I watched YouTube bid how to do that from tjstackle

Yea I was using them on salmon spoons so about 3.5" in length so it would go further with Cleos. I got all mine from jannsnetcraft.com. I could see a white base helping, but iv never did that. But yea just heat the spoon up and sprinkle it on with a paint brush is what I used. The big trick is getting the heat correct. Not hot enough and it'll come out kinda dull and blotchy. But when it works, they come out great

• 5 weeks later...

My experience with this is this. Spray paint straight out of the can comes out to thick and will chip very easy. The best results I've had has been with sandblasting the spoon or roughing it up with sandpaper (400 grit) then using an air brush to put a base coat of gloss white and then air brushing whatever other colors you want. Once dried apply 2 coats of diamond clear coat running that through my air brush as well.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• 6 months later...