Downrigger Weights

rpoll

Looking for recommendations for downrigger weights.  Been using 10 lb coated round

balls and getting weigh to much blow back.  Looking for minimal blow back and tracking straight.  Have Cannon electric digitrols so weight shouldn't be a problem

I use the 13# pancake weights and love them. I only use 2 riggers and only run 50' to 60' down on lake erie. but I get very little blowback. but I have had no trouble with not running straight. I would never go back to around ball. I use them with big jon downriggers.

the coating vs. Lack of is hey imo. I pretty much use a mix but mostly uncoated rounds. I have liked the pancakes until the fin gets bent. Some though bend them on purpose and some come that way, to get away from the boat. You will get a bunch of opinions. Experiment and use what you like. You can always adjust for blowback, other than that the fish dont care. That's all that counts !

We run the same as Killerbe20 and have for a long time. The only thing I don't like is the amount of blowback below 100ft as was mentioned. We found ourselves having to go down there a lot more this past year so may try some torpedo's next season. There's a couple guys on the Lake Ontario United forums that make torpedo weights for a very reasonable cost with shipping if those are of interest. I may pick up a pair in the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

• 4 weeks later...