Not the big lake.

Took the row boat out for panfish this weekend - as I didn't end up making it out on the big lake.  There is a good bite going on now.  22 gills & sunfish on the Gulp red waxworms.  I know every lake is different, but a dropshot with the hook about 18 inches above the weight worked for me.  This was in the mid afternoon and all fish bit near the bottom.  15-20 fow.  Never anchored, just drifted around.

-JDH

gills.jpg

• Like 3

Nice catch guys!  How do you like to prepare your gills?

For those hand sized gills I will filet them or take the heads off, gut them and scale them.  Salt and pepper (maybe a little Old Bay) and fry them up in a cast iron skillet on the grill until the tails are crispy (keeps the smell and mess out of our kitchen).

Now I'm hungry, What time is the fish fry? :P

The people I eat bluegill with don't like fish that tastes like fish...  So I fillet and skin.  I've been cooking 2 ways lately.  The first is way is in the oven with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.  Dip the fillets in melted butter - coat with the parmesan breading and back in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 375.  This keeps the smell of frying out of the kitchen.  The other way is to coat the fillets in all purpose flower and to fry in a skillet.  I like both methods.