Smith: Stocking talk is contentious

GLIN

Nothing like uneducated masses voicing their opinions.  No natural reproduction? I haven't aught a clipped fish in a long time.  

Pinks were stocked once, a long time ago, in Lake Superior.  Now they are well established.  But there's no natural reproduction?  I catch rainbows in streams never planted with them 

• Like 3

I could support a huge cut in lake trout like the 62% or now 50% they want for kings for 2017. I can't support a further cut in kings in 2017. We should wait one more year on kings to evaluate the results from the last big cuts. All signs in the lake point out they are working. . Natural reproduction from the nearly non existent 2015 river run is going to be way down for the 2016 year class of kings. The wier returns from last year say it all. So kings just took another huge cut this spring with not many smolts spawned from our rivers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

We were not supposed to have any mature kings this year, but a pile of one year old fish.  All the catches I've seen have been heavies, with little or no 3-6# fish in the mix.  When we were beating up Coho in April and May, the few kings being caught were 12-15#, not little.