Downrigger Cable

I've had 2 cannon balll break-offs this year and had 1 last year as well. I bought my riggers brand new in 2013 and have not replaced the cable before, I just keep putting new parts on where they break.

Wondering how many of you change out your cable on a regular basis and also what you are using for replacement cable.

We replace downrigger cables only if they've been kinked - never trust a wire line or downrigger cable once it has a hard kink.

The real fix for us, though, was switching to Canon downrigger terminators.  No more faulty crimps that fail.  It takes a bit to get used to the correct way to route the wire in the terminator, but after you've done it a couple of times, it is pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-2250141-Terminator-Single/dp/B000MMX792/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1472728981&sr=1-1&keywords=downrigger+cable+termination

Brad

• Like 1

My loss last year was a clean break about 2 feet above terminator. I'm thinking kink but didn't notice it. This year I had 1 break at ball after I moved it down a few feet and the one last weekend was a break at the water surface with ball down 90. I use the cannon connections and snubbers.. must be kinks I'm not seeing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

One other problem we've seen is the cable fraying if it strikes the edge of our swim platform.  Our platform is fiberglass, not teak and has a somewhat sharp bottom edge.  If we leave the ball *just* in the water, it swings and eventually cuts one or two strands about 18" above the ball. 

When it's rough, we leave the ball about 2-3 feet below the surface to reduce the swings.  That keeps the cable away from the platform.  I also toyed with the idea of some edge trim on the sides of the swim platform to permanently fix the problem, but haven't done that yet.

• Like 1