2/4 today, fished 50-90 fow, one 11.76# steelhead  and one 6.78# coho.  Lost my offshore board though when I didn't  get the line behind the peg. Lake was calm to 1/2 waves. Heat was building.

Both fish came off DR with speckled dick meat rig.

1/1 DR, Speckled dick meat rig,  68 fow, 48 dwn, 22ft back, 2.5 sog, north troll, ball temp 47.5 at 8:11am. (Coho)

1/1 DR, Speckled dick meat rig, 66 fow, 32 dwn, 70 ft back, 2.8 sog,  ne troll, ball temp 52.4, at 12:02 pm.

0/1 on slide diver and 150 cu with various spoons, paddles/flies and a new cut bait rig. Some guys were getting great hits on their paddle/fly combos. Just couldn't get it to go for me. 3 rods vs 6 and 9 makes a big attraction difference.

Enjoyed alot of good radio communication with fishing crowd.

2016-08-10 14.49.57.jpg

2016-08-10 14.50.18.jpg

• Like 4

Nice catch. That "steelhead" looks an awful lot like a king to me. No?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

The gums were white and the tail was square. It might be the angle I took the picture. Both were males and stuffed with alewifes. They were fat ones!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

FYI - 31" is a master angler Coho.......I think that was 31" or more. No more weight requirement - only length.

Yrs ago we got a 17 lb coho and cut it up having no idea about master angler size (was 12# then). Then I got a 12.25# one next trip.

We also broke off a big master angler ho that someone else picked up along with our green scaley J plug.

Sounds like lots of potential to get master angler kings (39") and hos out there this year.  

FYI - 31" is a master angler Coho.......I think that was 31" or more. No more weight requirement - only length.

Yrs ago we got a 17 lb coho and cut it up having no idea about master angler size (was 12# then). Then I got a 12.25# one next trip.

We also broke off a big master angler ho that someone else picked up along with our green scaley J plug.

Sounds like lots of potential to get master angler kings (39") and hos out there this year.  

The inside bottom of my cooler is 31". He was laying pass the bottom and a little up the side as seen in the picture. I'll try and be a little more aware of the MA process, should I be as fortunate the next time. I suspect he was somewhere between 32-33".

We had a 10# coho that was 28-29" that was just a fat hog last weekend. Yours looks like his bigger brother. I just had it on the smoker last night and it looked great.

I'm getting the fishing jones and need to get back out there - probably Sun AM as Sat AM weather is looking iffy.

In today's mail I'm getting 2 new AceHi Green glow splatterbacks from Lake MI Angler which will be getting wet next time out.

FYI cohos loose their scales pretty easy and also the steel have spots all over their tails - cohos only a few on top of the tail.

• Like 1

I've never found mouth color to work well.  We go by spots on the tail.  Well spotted, king.  Little to no spots, coho.

We had a brown  many years ago without a single slot on it's body.  Froze it and took it to Plainwell to ask them about it.  Shape and where we caught it said brown but it looked like a steel...

• Like 1

Nice job Ed! We'll be camping at the state park starting Friday, so expect lots of reports... especially if the perch fishing sucks! I'll make sure to say hey if we see you at the launch!

Sent from my LGL34C using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Ok, good luck. Might rain and storm friday, but weekend looks good for you.