General questions

I just picked up two down riggers and have a few questions regarding my 8 rod spread. (I will run 4 long lines, two riggers, and two dipsys)

1. How long do I send out my line before clipping it in to the releases?

2. What setting should I put the two dipsys on?

3. If I reel in a dipsy then have to reset it, can I send it down directly behind the boat similar to how you do a planer board?

4. I want to run two rods with meat. Should I run both on the riggers?

5. I plan to fish grand haven this week. Any general suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I have talk to people who still swear by short 10' leads. I usually start at 20' and start lengthening them if they don't get bit

I generally run both my dipseys on 3

If you have a long dipsey rod it'll work to set them out back. You just need to be sure they clear the riggers which is easier out the back than the side

I don't run meat.

I don't fish Grand Haven either, but I'd say check the boards

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

We've done really well w/ just a spoon on downriggers this year. Our dipsys get the meat if we're running meat. But, what is best for me isn't always best for you. Switch it all up until you figure out a system that works for you.

Change depths. Change baits, Change directions, Change speeds. Don't just drive straight. Drive like a drunk. You got to figure out what works best for you. Once you figure things out. Replicate it. Mark the spot that caught a fish and drive through it a few times before moving on.

Look at the buoy. Figure out where the temp break is. Make sure your downriggers & dipsys aren't in 70 degree water.