Kew/Algoma Salmon, What am I doing wrong?

Take your fish finder off of "fish mode" could be showing plankton or bait and show as Fish. Actually quite useless on that mode, when you see banana shapes, it's fish. And believe you are running too fast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, GBTyeeII said:

And I would love to run some different setups, but I have only TWO RODS/LINES. I need to get some fish running off of these before I get crazy and start buying more rods or copper lines. Etc. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

After looking at everything again, I'm thinking this may just be the problem.  Just not enough lines in the water.  Don't need to go crazy.  I pretty much stopped doing solo trips because fishing was easier with crew and more lines in the water.

I would agree with Dr. Hook.  I will often run 12 lines and only get 6 or 7 hits, sometimes on the same line.  That means half of my lines are just washing lures.  Think about it, if you put two more poles in the water, it's like doubling the number of trips you take only with no additional fuel costs or time expended.  Just make sure your pole count per person is legal.

I agree with the above comments...however do not get discouraged if you just have your three lines.  Right now getting your first one will be your great fish of all time.  I can still remember my first King.  Here is another thought that I had looking at your graph...you may want to search for a little cooler water right around the 50 - 55 DegF.  I am no Michigan expert I just thought we could get some additional comments on that point.

My friends keep saying that I need to name my boat. Right now, I have two names in mind.

#1 My Wife.   This way I can tell everyone how much I like My Wife. How I try to take My Wife out every weekend, and how relaxing a trip with My Wife is.... lol 

#2 Salmonvoid.   Lol... because it's Void of all Salmon-oid. Lol

PM sent

Can you perhaps run both lines out the same side of the boat? A buddy runs solo much of the time and he has better luck running all lines on one side.

You did not mention if you have any way to get water temp. It may be hard to find a decent temp to fish. Asking other boats at the dock what they have been doing for the current wind pattern should get you closer to catching fish.

you should be out an hour earlier water was piss warm when you were out shallow bite only lasted maybe 40 min before i set out to 240 fow were the cold water was. your diagram says mono leader if thats true get some 30 lb florocarbon. white crush glow flasher with a little boy blue glow fly, its killed more salmon for me in kewaunee past three years than any other rod. i will be in kewaunee again thursday through saturday channel 6 "the catchin machine" always willing to help.

• Like 2

ok you maybe went to far in the other direction on speed. I have heard of people getting them that fast but you never know about the current. Lets start with this- maybe find an experienced guy to go with you. If not then lets try maybe get a downrigger. Cheap used manuals are widely available. You wont be guessing on depth, just account for blowback. Try some plugs and lightweight spoons. Much more speed tolerance and will catch fish all across the speed range. Lastly learn all you can , talk to everyone you can, that said no substitute for time on the water. Go every chance you get. It will happen! Let us know when it does. Then be prepared to spend the rest of your life and money on your new obsession .

So what lengths should I run for a fly flasher behind the dipsy??  

One of the Howie Fly's i bought has a leader built in an it's right around 28". So, I am assuming that 28" from the bottom swivel to the tip of the hook on the fly is what I need. Howie fly is out of Sturgeon Bay so im assuming this is what the GL Salmon are looking for.

Sound about right?

hook your dipsey on your rod then run snubber n floro to bottom of reel 4 length flasher to fly i run 8" flasher with 24" floro to fly thats bottom of hook to tip of loop remember flasher speeds are typically slower i run 2.4-2.7 put a moonshine bloody nose spoon on your other rod it will get bit at that speed too

• Like 1

GBTyeel, So I was telling my dad about your efforts and struggles to catch fish.  He leans back and says in all seriousness, "Ahh, yes.  He's not wetting the net.  You've got to wet the net before the boat knows it's ready to catch fish.  How many times has that worked for us?  No fish for 3 hours, then we remember to wet the net and BAM, the fish start hitting."  I laughed because that did happen a lot when I was a kid.  So when all else fails, wet the net.  Hopefully you can get out there this weekend and give us a good report.

• 8 months later...