Suggestions for New Lake Trout Rod and Reel

(Skip to last paragraph if you don't want to read my rant haha)

I'm currently looking to buy myself a new setup for Lake Trout and thought I'd get some opinions from people here. I just started fishing for Lakers a bit over a year ago, only having the chance to fish them once last spring and due to weather, only 7-8 full days this year from April-June. During that time, however, I've come to call them my favorite fish to catch on lakes (whereas Brookies are my favorites in streams). Where I fish for them on Lake Erie, they're only readily available to anglers from April-June and October-December, even with a boat they're difficult to locate and even harder to catch during the summer months. Fishermen on Erie only target them by trolling, in April and May, but I don't follow standard angling convention, and I'm looking to hammer some pre and post spawn fish this Fall and early Winter not only by trolling, but also jigging and casting (what I want a new setup for, as my current Laker rods and reels are all for trolling). In addition, I'm making a trip up to Lake Ontario either at the end of this month or sometime in early August (and hopefully again in October). When I go up there, I've heard that they're accessible to anglers all summer in 70-170 FOW using both trolling and jigging techniques, another reason to buy a dedicated rod for this purpose.

As for what I'm looking for in a new setup, I'd like it to be pretty versatile, so that I can use it well for a variety of active fishing methods, I won't be worried about investing in technique specific setups until I get deeper in to Laker fishing over the course of the next several years and hopefully for the remainder of my angling career.

Anyway, the rod should be able to handle Great Lakes sized Lake Trout. The smallest Laker I've caught this year on Lake Erie was 8.5 pounds with the largest sitting at right about 25 pounds, the average fish is anywhere from 10-16 pounds, in my experience. Lake Ontario is supposed to have even larger Trout, with anglers occasionally catching 30+ pound fish. The rod also needs to be able to fish a variety of lures such as various types of jigs, jerkbaits, and casting spoons, and possibly crankbaits/stickbaits as well, but I won't be upset if I cannot use the later. It should have enough sensitivity to be able to feel the subtle takes of light biters while deep-jigging, but have enough backbone to be able to get solid hook sets in the bony mouths of these fish. As far as length goes, I'm thinking 7' minimum, but probably something 7'6" or 8'. One of the other reasons for me buying a new rod is that my current two rods I use for casting on the lake cover opposite sized lures. I have one rated for 1/8-3/8 ounce lures and one rated for 2.25-6 ounce ones, but nothing to use for throwing and jigging 1/2-2 ounce lures, so the rod should be suited to handle baits anywhere from 1/2-3 ounces, ideally.

As for the reel, I'm still debating whether to go for a large spinning reel, or a casting reel. And if casting, whether a low profile or a round/traditional. I'm leaning towards a round casting, but not sure yet. The most important thing here is that it needs to be able to hold at least 100 yards of line (preferably more), most likely braid, for deepwater jigging in, at times, over 100' deep water. A higher gear ratio would be beneficial for jigging and for jerkbaits, the two types of lures I'll be using the most, but for the constant pull of heavier spoons, would a mid-range gear ratio be more versatile, or would it not be as efficient for jigs and jerkbait fishing? Whichever type of reel I go with, I think a medium to large sized reel would be beneficial, a 2500-4000 size for spinning reels or 300-400 size for casting reels.

For line, I'm definitely going to go with braid mainline (probably use a couple feet of fluoro as a leader), but I'm debating how heavy to go. The three sizes I'm thinking are 30#, 50#, or 65#. They all have their places, but for primarily jigs and jerkbaits, I think 30# power pro should work well.

I'd like to invest in a quality setup that will last me a while, but also don't want to break the bank, so I'm willing to spend up to $250-350 total on it.

With that said, does anyone have suggestions for specific makes or brands of rods and reels to look in to for the use of 1/2-2 ounce jigs, jerkbaits, and casting spoons for 5-30+ pound Lake Trout in anywhere from 5-170 FOW on primarily lakes Erie and Ontario?

Thanks for the help once again, everyone!
-Sean

Thinking about this setup. G. Loomis E6X Swimbait Rod 7'4" Heavy-Power Mod/Fast-Action 1/2-2 ounce lures. For the reel, a Shimano Cardiff 301A 5.8:1 gear ratio 24" line retrieve 10# max drag. Spooled up with 30# green PowerPro.

Sound good to you guys? I've heard mixed things on the Cardiff, but it seems good overall.

The other reel I was considering was the Abu Garcia Ambassedeur C4-6601. 6.3:1 gear ratio 30" retrieve 15# max drag. 

Looks good to me, but it seems like with Abu Garcias most people either love them or hate them.

Ideally, I'd get myself a nice Calcutta 301D, but that's a bit out of my current price range.

I'm still liking the G. Loomis E6X Swimbait rod, but now thinking about the Shimano Calutta 201b reel. 27" retrieve, 6.0:1 gear ratio, 11# max drag (might be a bit light?), 135 yards of 40# braid. Anyone ever use this reel?

We have a Calcutta 700B and it is by far the best reel on the boat. That Dartanium drag (or whatever) is AMAZING. The drag will only get so tight but its plenty strong for just about anything freshwater. I wouldn't be afraid of getting a large size than the 201b, I would even suggest it, even the 700 isn't that big. Calcuttas are about the best reel for its purpose. Might be a little pricey but you get what you pay for in this case. Wish I could tell you more about a rod. I would suggest something 7' or less, has a solid backbone to it and a handle that feels proper for your application.

2 hours ago, scubastew said:

We have a Calcutta 700B and it is by far the best reel on the boat. That Dartanium drag (or whatever) is AMAZING. The drag will only get so tight but its plenty strong for just about anything freshwater. I wouldn't be afraid of getting a large size than the 201b, I would even suggest it, even the 700 isn't that big. Calcuttas are about the best reel for its purpose. Might be a little pricey but you get what you pay for in this case. Wish I could tell you more about a rod. I would suggest something 7' or less, has a solid backbone to it and a handle that feels proper for your application.

I'd love to get a 400b or 700b, but unfortunately they only make them in right hand retrieve models, at least what I've seen, and it's very annoying to me (for casting purposes) to have to switch the rod from hand-to-hand every cast to work the lure in. I'd love a nice Calcutta 301d which is left handed, but $380 is too expensive for me after just buying 4 new trolling setups for around $1,000 in April. The Trinidads also look great, but again, too expensive and only right hand retrieve. I wouldn't be so against right handed reels if I was only jigging, but this setup is for both jigging and casting.

So at this point, it's really just the Calcutta 200b versus the Ambassedeur C4 6601. Unless anyone has another suggestion for a left-hand retrieve model?

• 2 weeks later...
On July 11, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Divemaster said:

So at this point, it's really just the Calcutta 201b versus the Ambassedeur C4 6601.

Any thoughts on this? Going to order the rod and reel within the next couple days and I'm still going back and forth, but leaning towards the Calcutta. My only other concern with this setup is that the G. Loomis E6X Swimbait rod I'm most likely going with is a heavy power rod. It's made for 1/2-2 ounce lures with a moderate fast action and 7'4" length, which is all perfect, but heavy power seems a bit much, although if it's made for Bass then I guess it shouldn't be too stout of a rod, so it should probably be fine.