7-3-16 Port Sheldon - Late am early pm

This is my first attempt at a post.  We got a late start Sunday morning and dropped lines in 30' of water around 9:45am.   My 15 year old son boxed one beauty laker 33" long in 30 FOW on a monkey puke spoon off the downrigger down about 25' down.  The hit came on an East troll and about 2.5 SOG.    We had one other rip on a paddle/fly combo in about 40 FOW on a dipsy set on 3 and just off the bottom.

I am a frequent reader of this site and know many on here don't care for Lakers.   I smoked that fish yesterday and it is by far the best smoked fish I have ever had.  I have done Kings, Coho, Steel, and even King Mackerals and they don't compare.  I rubbed the fillets with brown sugar and curing salt and let them rest for about 16 hours in the fridge (flipped them once).  I smoked them at 225 F for 2.5 hours and used Hickory chips.

My question to the group here is what is the most productive setup for catching Lakers...I want more!  Thanks in advance!

13607000_10207039453133780_2879001206721431137_n.jpg

Fresh lakers from yesterday, and yes they are way better than kings or steelhead smoked, it's the only way I eat them, it must have something to do the fat content they have to help hold the smoke flavor, I just do a simple salt water brine and let them soak over night, as far as catching these fish, put anything green close to the bottom, we use green flies, green spinners, green dodgers with a green fly, you see the pattern, sometimes you have to have you rigger ball bouncing on bottom and other times you will catch them half way up in the water column

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 1

maybe they are not pigging out on gobies down there. I used to love them smoked. Yes the fat or grease made them very moist and good. Totally different now. For catching just about anything. If you are targeting silver fish you will still get plenty of Lakers suspended and on the silver fish baits and speeds. If you want to strictly target Lakers slow down 1.6- 2 mph. Cowbells with spin and glow, dodger with spin and glo or fly or squid. Many spoons and meatrigs will get them also. All fished near or on bottom.

• Like 1